OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy Help

Started by KeyDett, February 18, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeyDett

I'm looking for suggestions on decoys. I want them to be lightweight and will easily fold up in a turkey vest. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Takeaim1st

KeyDett

2 Funky Chickens and No Hen Decoy with it? Seems interesting

Greg Massey

First you need to decide , just how good of quality you want in paint and realistic looking ..  this will help you decide on what you want to carry .. some came be carried in a vest and some need their own carry bag.... cheaper ones are easier to carry , realistic life size are more expensive and usually harder to carry ...

Greg Massey

Quote from: KeyDett on February 18, 2019, 04:45:49 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on decoys. I want them to be lightweight and will easily fold up in a turkey vest. Thank you all for your help in advance.
Guy's he ask a question on decoys .. so let's try not to destroy his post ...

KeyDett

Greg,

This is my exact dilemma, I want the decoy's to be as realistic as possible but I do not want to carry a bag back deep in the mountains where I like to hunt. I love the look of the DSD decoys but they don't make sense to lug in a bag in rough country. At least they haven't to me yet. I just want something that is easier to carry but is still realistic looking. Cost is not that big of a factor to me. Thanks for your response I do appreciate it.

Fl strutter

They arent collapsible but i just ordered the big jake and boss hen from deception decoys. They look amazing. Here in north Florida ive had too many gobblers stray away from any type quater or half strut jake so i wanted a stand up jake. Also their boss hen pose looks better to me than any.

coyote1

For your criteria avian x or Montana Jake perfect and miss perfect.i added real tail feathers to the Montana's for even more realism. I like to run a Jake, feeder hen and laydown hen. The nice part about the Montana's is the hen can be put in any position you want.

Takeaim1st

Placed face to face necks crossed.Used very early season and late season with fighting purrs. A few gobbler yelps and clucks.  It works, specific to those two cycles of the season. Late season when a lot of hunters have got tired or already limited out. The gobblers are re grouping.  Not exactly as conventional as the more common use.. but effective.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: KeyDett on February 18, 2019, 05:17:20 PM
Greg,

This is my exact dilemma, I want the decoy's to be as realistic as possible but I do not want to carry a bag back deep in the mountains where I like to hunt. I love the look of the DSD decoys but they don't make sense to lug in a bag in rough country. At least they haven't to me yet. I just want something that is easier to carry but is still realistic looking. Cost is not that big of a factor to me. Thanks for your response I do appreciate it.

DSD's are deadly, I tote mine everywhere. Might not use them but have them with if it works with my set. You may be going in a bit farther than I do by the sounds of it, my long treks might be 2.5miles in... Not bad to carrying them out, I am just bringing my DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen, both bagged and fits in one bag together. Of course your carrying out a gobbler too ;)

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Greg,

Avian x , for what you wanting to do .... upright hen and feeder hen... don't even mess with Jake decoy....

SD_smith

Yea it sounds like avian-x is the way to go since you can completely deflate them.

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 18, 2019, 05:36:29 PM
Greg,

DSD's are deadly, I tote mine everywhere. Might not use them but have them with if it works with my set. You may be going in a bit farther than I do by the sounds of it, my long Trek's might be 2.5miles in... Not bad to carrying them out, I am just bringing my DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen, both bagged and fits in one bag together. Of course your carrying out a gobbler too ;)

MK M GOBL
At the convention this pass weekend i looked at the DSD and they are fine decoy's .. But i would say the new Avian X with the changeable head and the flocking it has on the back is really nice also....

mufishgrad

If you're really looking to cover ground with quick deployment in a decoy Montana Purrfect pair is the way to go. I frequently use them and barely know they're there on long treks. Avians are still portable, but I can tell when I'm lugging those around. Never used a DSD but they look awesome. I guess it comes down to how much weight are you willing to carry for realism as technology currently stands.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 18, 2019, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 18, 2019, 05:36:29 PM
Greg,

DSD's are deadly, I tote mine everywhere. Might not use them but have them with if it works with my set. You may be going in a bit farther than I do by the sounds of it, my long Trek's might be 2.5miles in... Not bad to carrying them out, I am just bringing my DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen, both bagged and fits in one bag together. Of course your carrying out a gobbler too ;)

MK M GOBL
At the convention this pass weekend i looked at the DSD and they are fine decoy's .. But i would say the new Avian X with the changeable head and the flocking it has on the back is really nice also....

Not saying they don't look good, I mean not like DSD good :)  But we sure get a lot of them back at the store every year because they don't hold air... even right out of the box, to me this is an issue/design flaw. Haven't checked physical weight but don't seem to be any lighter, Guess I don't see the benefit IMO

We get them back after they have pellet holes in them too... customer complains it won't hold air. I'm thinking, well you shot it, it has holes in it now, yes it won't hold air...

MK M GOBL