turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longer isn't always better.

Started by 2eagles, June 09, 2017, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I've been using 3 1/2" loads for turkeys and geese for a long time. This year I took one of my turkeys with a 3" load  through my old Wingmaster. I used a Federal Turkey Thugs load of 6 shot that gave a really nice pattern and killed my bird DEAD! I don't see the turkey thugs load any more, so I'm looking for something similar. I don't see the sense in abusing my aging shoulder with those long loads any longer! I'll be switching my goose loads too as I shoot up the ones I have. Getting older & getting smarter. 

Bowguy

You'd be surprised what even a 20 can do. Obviously a lot has to do w the pattern at dif yardages. For me as I age it's more about the hunt or mentoring than killing every bird myself.

milertyme03

Try out the win longbeard xr in 3 inch.  I think it's the best shell.fir the money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Happy

You all are crazy. I needed the 3.5"hevishot on every bird I killed this year. Longest shot was 28 steps. A wild turkey is a very dangerous customer at close range. :D In all honesty I like my 3.5" shells, just like I like high poundage bows and fixed blade broadheads. It's all overkill for the way I hunt but I like knowing that I have more than I need. Maybe it will change when I get older but for now I am pleased with my equipment and see no need to change.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

1iagobblergetter

I use to think I had to shoot a 3.5 out turkey hunting until I set my Encore up for turkeys and patterned it. Then while patterning my son's 20.g youth 870 it has me wanting to put together my own. Patterns great,less kick, and lightweight.

guesswho

It's taken a lot of years but Here is my regression.   If memory serves me right, the bird killed with the 10 ga 3 1/2 was only slightly deader than the one killed with the 20 gauge 3.  Right now I have no plans on regressing any further, but I didn't when I carried the 10 either.  As much trash as I've talked I hope I don't wind up on the 410 train :D

10 gauge 3 1/2
12 gauge 3 1/2
12 gauge 3
20 gauge 3
Who knows what's next?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mtns2hunt

Yep, gave up on the 3.5 shells years ago. Recoil was too heavy. Shoot LB 3 inch now. With the LB I am finding the recoil acceptable but the patterns are too tight for under 30 yards. Seems to me we are all a little over gunned with too heavy a loads for Turkey when the average shot is about 20 or 30 yards. Turkey just is not that hard to kill unless you're talking to a manufactures rep. According to their hype you need to be able to take down Tyrannosaurs Rex and have a few pellets left for safety.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ilbucksndux

I shot 3 1/2 for a few years but they hurt patterning them and I noticed myself flinching. I switched back to 3" and never went back. I dont use 3 1/2 for waterfowl either, never really have.
Gary Bartlow

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've got 3.5" 12s, 3" 12s and a 3" 20.  For me, it's about which gun seems to become a natural extension of myself. I like all of my turkey guns but my 3.5" 870 super mag is tried and true and we've been apart of some vicious  kills together. Recoil isn't something I pay much attention to at 32 years old but maybe it'll become a more significant consideration in the future.

Next season I plan on running the M2 with TSS when I'm traveling but my 870 isn't seeing retirement for at least another decade. 

dutch@fx4

I shoot rem 879 super mag turkey but only use 3 inch long beards. All birds are dead when I pick then up

Greg Massey

I shoot Rem 870-20 gauge 3 inch Federal HW 7 and all my birds are dead when i pick them up..

Chris O

I have killed quite a few turkeys with 2 3/4 12 gauge loads mainly because that's all my old 870 was capable of and that is what I started my oldest son on because he didn't like the recoil when he was smaller .

daddyduke

I was shooting Turkey Thugs out of my 870 and according to Federal " They are Strut-Shok relabeled." On the Turkey Thugs box I have left it says Strut-Shok on it. Got some and they pattered just as good.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

tha bugman

Just depends on the gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birddogdoc

I've been shooting em w/ 2&3/4 inch 5 shot with my 16 bore side by side :)