OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansa/Nebraska still worth it?

Started by Flredbones, March 23, 2016, 08:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flredbones

For those of you that responded to my orginal post about doing a solo trip to Kansas and Nebraska I appreciate it. It looks like I'm not going to be able to go the weeks in May when everybody recommended was the best time and the only time I have open will be the last week of April going into the 1st-3rd of May. Will there be that dramatic of a difference? Still worth all the money?  On a different note I think I'm pretty squared away on where I'll be hunting in NE but not quite with KS. If anybody has any recommendations it'd be much appreciated. I am targeting a Rio so I know i have to be north west area but that's about as far as I've got other than a few small wiha I have found. But I don't want to depend solely on those smaller properties. 

spaightlabs

I think you are trading up to a better time to tell you the truth. End of April/beginning of May has always been my preferred timing for KS and NE.

Gonna be in NE this year April 29 - May 1, KS the following weekend.

stinkpickle

It's always worth it.  Hitting the perfect time of the season is merely guesswork, anyway.  Just go when you can.

Gobbler2577

Last year due to scheduling conflicts, my buddy and I had to hit Kansas on opening day and went from there to Nebraska.  We hunted two days and killed eight birds.  Birds were henned up and we had to hunt all day both days, but don't feel bad about having to go early.  I personally think you'll be there just right.  Good luck. 

fallhnt

Go when you can. Small overlooked KS wiha can be good.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Flredbones

Sounds like I'll be good then. I've heard you can get a physical map of all the wihas sent to you. How do I go about doing this? It's difficult trying to find spots on the map with my phone cause I don't really have much access to a computer.

ncwoodsman

Good information...I am headed to Kansas to hunt from April 11th-13th. It's my first out of state trip so I am very excited to say the least.

spaightlabs

NCWoodsman:

I've hunted that early a few times - weather can be 85 degrees or it can snow.  Had one year  probably 6 or 7 years ago we hunted in snow and cold the whole trip. Had one guy get hypothermia on an afternoon hunt - he was wearing all cotton and got soaked in the snow then had to sit for 3 hours.

drenalinld

Plan for another weather including snow. Early Spring should be perfect. Lonely toms.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Flredbones on March 23, 2016, 01:38:49 PM
Sounds like I'll be good then. I've heard you can get a physical map of all the wihas sent to you. How do I go about doing this? It's difficult trying to find spots on the map with my phone cause I don't really have much access to a computer.

I don't know if they send them to you, or not.  Call the closest Walmart stores or other vendors as you enter the state to see if they have any.  I picked up one at Dick's in Leawood a couple of years ago.  The website lists changes since printing, though.

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Thanks for starting this topic. I also looking at doing a solo trip to Nebraska or Kansas during April after the first and second seasons in Illinois. Haven't worked out all the kinks myself either. But from what little researching I have done over the past few months as well as that I did before my south Dakota trip last year and the Kansas trip I took two years ago,  I think for a rio you really need to draw a from Dallas to Oklahoma city straight up though Kansas and hunt the west side of that line. as for merriams for a nice white bird you have to get to the hillier/mountainous area in north west Nebraska or western south Dakota. This year I think the week before season comes in in Illinois I will head over and down to the Oklahoma Texas boarder instead of Kansas since the chance of getting into hybrids is more likely in Kansas.

LI Outdoorsman

GO!....Anytime you got your schedule cleared for a road trip turkey hunt dont take that lightly...You never know when youll get another chance.

fallhnt

Quote from: Flredbones on March 23, 2016, 01:38:49 PM
Get on the KS web site , at the bottom click "contact us". Tell em' what you want and they will mail it to you. You can look on the web now at the 2016 wiha. Good luck.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy