OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker ???

Started by sbbow, January 27, 2014, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

Ok so this is gonna be my first year hunting spring season. I started collecting pot calls. I have  a ceramic in cedar a crystal in cherry and a slate in something. Seems like I got a purpleheart with all of them. My question is this all the call makers make different strikers in different woods because they get different sounds right? So what would be some other possibilities for the calls that I have. Thanks for your help.

Gooserbat

Here is my 2 cents, Yellowheart, Persimmon, Hickory, Ipe, Dymondwood.  A strikers tone  can vary by weight, length, diameter, and tip design. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Skeeterbait

Purpleheart is one of the most universal strikers you can own.  It runs nearly everything well.  Another would be a laminate called dyamondwood.  It will likely give you a little higher pitch than your purpleheart.  Another I like is oak.  It tends to also be a good universal striker and likely will give you a lower pitch than the purpleheart.  But the sky is the limit on trying different exotic woods.  Some of it is different pitch but some of it is just enjoying owning strikers of varying exotic woods.  Others often mentioned are osage, ebony, hickory, padauk, bubinga, bocote.....

sbbow

captin_hook

I like hickory for a all around striker to play on anything.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: sbbow on January 27, 2014, 07:43:27 PM
what is ipe

Ipe is also called Brazilian Walnut or Lapacho.  Very dense and hard.

worth612000

You would really like one of Wendell's dymondwood flare tip strikers from Lights Out Calls. they run good on glass, copper, ceramic and aluminum. I don't remember if I tried slate

REBELYELL

Dymondwood
Purpleheart
Hickory, black locust or persimmon

CASH

Strikers can make every pot sound different.

My personal go to strikers are

Lightsout Dymondwood (my fave) and Osage
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Skeeterbait on January 27, 2014, 10:19:56 PM
Quote from: sbbow on January 27, 2014, 07:43:27 PM
what is ipe

Ipe is also called Brazilian Walnut or Lapacho.  Very dense and hard.

Yes it is, it sinks in water.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fatbeard

My 2 personal favorite are a solid snakewood and a two piece snakewood/dogwood.
East TN Beard Buster

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: worth612000 on January 27, 2014, 11:58:01 PM
You would really like one of Wendell's dymondwood flare tip strikers from Lights Out Calls. they run good on glass, copper, ceramic and aluminum. I don't remember if I tried slate

I agree....there very good!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

drum817

I like Dymondwood for higher pitched tones and Kwila wood for a little darker sound.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

paboxcall

I run slate, glass and aluminum, and a few of my favorites include maple, osage, black walnut, black cherry, and hickory. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot