turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strategy Change Works!!

Started by harleytom, April 10, 2012, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Thanks for the attaboys guys. Obviously I was aided by the terrain and the fact that we are in full green up in MS. It makes it hard to determine how far a bird is gobbling from you but when you move on them it also keeps you concealed.  Anyone have a guess as to how old this bird might be? His low weight has just got me stumped. I had to weigh him about 5 times because I just couldn't believe a bird with those spurs/beard was so light.

mikejd

Great job, love those kind of hunts sometimes there the most exiting when your not sure exactly were he is. You have to.use your woodsmandhip along with your hunting skill. And the weight doesn't suprise me some of my crews biggest birds ( beards,spurs) were also the lightest. Can never understand it since all they do is stand in one spot I guess all that spinning in circles burns a lot of calories, maybe I should try it. I think the dominant bird has more on his mind then eating.

jellybusta

The low weight might of just meant he has been getting lucky a lot working that fat off.

Reloader

Congrats, that's a nice one.

jakebird

Congrats on an awesome hunt and a real trophy. Two and three yr olds are the fat boys. Those old wicked birds seem to always run a little lighter. Still a champ, though. Randy Couture weighs alot less than me, but i aint getting in a ring with him, and i doubt your ol gobbler had very many worthy opponents with a set of hooks like that, my friend!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

pullit

I like the hooks for sure. Congrats

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Nick_The_Tinkerer

gobbler777

Long spurs were worth the wait ... congrats
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

harleytom

Jake you are exactly right. Never heard another gobble within earshot the mornings this old boy sounded off. He had a broken gobble occasionally which helped me identify him, especially early when he first started up. I know I wouldn't pick a fight w/ him with those spurs and I weigh slightly more than he does  :camohat:

VAHUNTER

Congrats!! he is a good one. with a 1/14" spur i would say he was a good 4 maybe 5 years old.
Good things come to those who wait

timbrhuntr

Thats a beauty congrats  :icon_thumright: I shot a nice tom last year in florida and he only weighed 15 lbs but had great hooks and a long beard. The biologist said he was at least a 4 year old and by the looks of his worn breast feathers he had been breeding alot and not eating much. He figured he would have gone at least 20 lbs earlier in the season. Like others have said them old long spurred birds are lean and mean.   

harleytom

Timbr, this bird had a bare spot on the point of his breastbone. I just assumed it was from where he rested when roosted. Never thought about the possibility of breeding being the cause. Thanks for the insight.

Roostem33

Great bird, congratulations!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)