OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey vest

Started by DirtNap647, March 15, 2012, 06:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNGobbler

I have a vest with legs and have taken them out. Yes, every once in a while you may get into a situation where you don't have something to lean up against, but not very often. Also the weight was a factor and when I am going from spot to spot I often leave my vest on and have the legs made that like nearly impossible to get in my truck and sit with them. I also agree with others who stated you really need to consider your style of hunting and determine what will work best for you in your situation whatever that may be.

Tom007

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 10, 2023, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: DirtNap647 on March 15, 2012, 06:38:13 AM
anybody not wear a turkey vest while turkey hunting...sometimes they can be bulky ...any other suggestions

Whether to wear a vest or not is obviously a personal choice, but in my opinion, it should be made based on several factors.  The first is whether or not you actually NEED a vest based on how much gear you take with you when hunting.  It seems to me that, over time, turkey hunters have "brainwashed", if you will, into thinking that if you hunt turkeys, you have to have a vest with a couch-sized cushion attached.  For the guys that are constantly using an assortment of calls, a vest is a good organizer and makes those calls readily accessible when needed.  In addition, for those that regularly sit in one spot for long periods of time, comfort is often directly proportional to how much your seat cushion resembles a living room recliner.

Conversely, for guys who hunt with a minimal amount of calls (like myself and a number of others here), all the specialty pockets found on a vest are unneeded, as is the cumbersome-ness of most full-sized vests.  ...And that giant cushion is nothing more than an unneeded nuisance. 

Another factor that is important for me personally, and a number of the friends I hunt with, is that we usually cover several miles through some pretty rough, mountainous terrain where we hunt.  Every unnecessary ounce of weight or bulk makes that kind of hunting more difficult than it needs to be.  With the ever-increasing, public-land hunting pressure (which is almost entirely where we hunt), many of our decisions on where to hunt are based on the difficulty of accessing the area, with the obvious hope that other hunters will not make the effort.  Compound that with the fact that most of us are in our seventies now and the need to go as light as possible is further magnified.  The fact that we do almost all of our hunting in mountains at elevations between 7,500 and 9,500 ft. adds another element that comes into play.

Still, there are things that we need to carry that are necessary, but do not need to be immediately accessible.  Things like food, extra water, a roll-up seat/pad, emergency gear, extra clothing, knives, toilet paper, etc. all need to be carried, but they do not need to be flopping around somebody's waist or legs when covering ground or trying to negotiate thick brush or steep mountainsides. For our type of hunting, we have found that wearing cargo pants and shirts/coats with a few secure pockets, combined with a daypack/backpack for the other stuff is the most efficient way to go.  For the concerns about leaning up against a back-stabbing tree, a backpack also takes care of that issue, as does the pad for longer sits as needed.

Granted, our situation is unique to where and how we hunt, just like others have completely different circumstances to which a well-laid-out vest of some sort is ideal.  Having said all of the above, if I am traveling to hunt in another part of the country, I almost always take along a vest of some sort,...just on the off-chance that I am going to really need it!   ;D :angel9:

Very well put............
"Solo hunter"

Vintage

Just comes down to each their own. If you like it use it. If not don't.

Bowguy

Quote from: runngun on February 10, 2023, 10:03:51 AM
Well I have been using the Tactical Tatr since they came out and I have used it all over this Great Country.  Except I ain't never had any need to set up "in the middle of a field" for dang sure.  I have set against fence rows and cedar bushes in the west. I also have another vest that My Daddy has used for years. It has a "L" shaped metal tubing in the back.  I can't remember the name.  He's not able to hunt any longer and told me the other day that I could have this vest. I have always used cover, would be dumb not to. But I don't always have the "perfect" tree to set against. Sounds like someone might always have the perfect set up in every situation.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Buddy this is silly, you don't need a perfect tree? A shotgun which most guys use, reaches out 30-40 yards. You have options.

Tail Feathers

I've tried vest alternatives and am still on the look out for "THE one".  I'll be trying a Gobbler Lounger with the pockets on each side along with backpack style straps.  I know the chair is good, we will see how carrying it works out.

That said, I always have wound up back with a vest because of convenience.  Everything in one easy to use package.  I would rather have the extra weight on my shoulders that in cargo pockets, around my waist or slung on one shoulder.  I've figured out how to carry most things, but water is the one thing that a vest does best.  Or a camelbak, but then you have something on your shoulders, it may as well be part of vest. 

Fanny packs may work, but over 3 decades of wearing a gun belt/duty rig just doesn't leave me wanting the weight on my hips.  And with my somewhat rotund build, all the weight winds up there.  I've spent a lot of money on vest alternatives, and keep coming back to the vest. It holds all I need and is very convenient.  And just because you have a lot of pockets, doesn't mean you have to fill every one.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Timer

Best of luck on your search! When I 1st started I had no vest. I got me a seat and used my jacket or a shoulder bag. After I purchased my 1st vest It was much more comfortable. I`m  presently looking for the ultimate minimalist vest. It will not be easy because I like quality. Good day