turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What’s for lunch? / what’s in your gobbler

Started by aclawrence, May 01, 2021, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I thought this might be a fun idea. Everyone post a pic of what their gobbler has been snacking on. Here's go mine from yesterday April 30th. It looks like some kind of seed heads of grass I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I usually check to see what they are eating but it always seems to be grass and seeds that I find. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ALfwlmth

With the occasional live caterpillar...

Wigsplitter

Cool thread idea!!  I always look at my gobblers craw as well - can't wait to see some interesting post here!!

ScottTaulbee

Both of the ones I got this year had nothing but creek rocks, I got lucky enough to get them both off to commit straight off the roost

aclawrence

Quote from: Wigsplitter on May 01, 2021, 06:54:52 PM
Cool thread idea!!  I always look at my gobblers craw as well - can't wait to see some interesting post here!!
Yes I've just discovered the craw idea. I always knew they had rocks in them but when I saw someone's collection of the rocks in a glass bottle the other day I thought it was really cool. So I started my craw rock collection yesterday lol.

dzsmith

Quite often in Mississippi no matter whether it's public or private . I find corn in them. No where I hunt feeds corn .... it's always from illegal activity, or it just crossed off a neighboring property where they were being fed. This year however I never killed a turkey with a corn . Which was nice to see . Grass , seeds , the occasional beetle. There's these yellow butter cup looking flowers that grow on vines in the very early spring. The first 2 birds I killed were full of them. They bloom and then fall to the ground . I've seen wild onions , burr  clover , just about any forage you can think of I've seen in them. The last 3 birds I killed were essentially empty. A little grass and a few seeds but nothing of notable significance .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

captfire

I KILLED ONE LAST YEAR THAT WAS FULL OF WHEAT SEED ...

wvmntnhick

Lead. Mine had a solid dose of lead for breakfast.

Actually it was grass and weed tops. But there wasn't much in there if I'm being honest.

johnnyk2000

The one I killed last week was completely empty. He was on the ground for over an hour before he met his maker but he must have had other things on his mind besides food

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rifleman

I have found mostly grass and seeds.  One spring a gobbler had about an inch piece of supple greenbriar and a crayfish.  Another bird was full of chesnuts back when a few trees were regrowing.  In the fall a ton of what we call "walking sticks" and corn when near farming.

eddie234

Paw paw seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shoreguy

I just killed one right off the roost that was filled with corn.  We dont feed them on our property during the season.  My questions is how long does food stay in there?  I have killed a couple off the roost that still had food in them. 

mtns2hunt

Wish I had seen this post earlier and I would have taken a picture. My Tom was filled with green corn. Thought they were peas at first. Turns out one of the neaibors is planting corn and the green color is a treatment agianst bugs I think. Currently in process of finding out what the treatment is and if I will die from eating bird.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: eddie234 on May 03, 2021, 09:18:53 AM
Paw paw seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh man! I love paw paws. Where in the world did you kill that thing? They're not even out here until the fall of the year.