OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Velocity Vs. Pattern - Which Is Better?

Started by hunter177, March 20, 2011, 04:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter177

I patterned my 870 @ 40 yards with two load/choke combinations. I know both patterns will kill a gobbler but should I go with the higher count or the higher speed from 45 yards in?

Federal Mag-Shok FC 3", 2 oz.         Winchester Supreme HV 3", 1 3/4 oz.
#6 shot @ 1150 fps                         #5 shot @ 1300 fps
Jelly Head .665                                 TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665
7 pellets in the vitals                        9 pellets in the vitals
81 pellets in the head/neck              67 pellets in the head/neck
196 pellets in 12"X12" target           166 pellets in 12"X12" target

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

ILIKEHEVI-13

Go with the pattern.  50fps in a shotgun don't mean didly.  

S.C.C

IMO,get you some WIN. supreme HV 6's and stay with the higher velocity with that lead shot!! :icon_thumright:

longspur

It would be eaisier to compair if you use a big paper like 30"x30" and draw a 10" circle around the most dense part of your pattern. 1.75oz of 5s don't have near the number of shot 2oz of 6s do. If you can get 100 shot in 10" circle at 45yds then you have a good 45yd setup. personally I would go with higher shot count if your talking about 30 more shot,and these were my only two options. I would try some more shells through both chokes. Win HV 6s or Win  3-2-5.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

150 fps does matter at long distance.  It gives you a few more feet of killing power.  Plus, #5's have more energy to begin with.  Those 5's have energy for a clean kill out to about 60 yards, but they won't pattern that far.

You need to look for 10-15-20 inches of even coverage.  Counting pellets is good too. 

mcgruff1533

Given those two choices, I'd go with the Winchester HV #5's.       They're faster and the pellets pack more energy.    Their pattern density numbers are also more than adequate at 40 yards, though shooting at a 10" circle is generally accepted to be the true benchmark at any given range.    At 12" circle is significantly larger than a 10 inch circle and will skew your overall numbers.

For example, a 10" circle has an area of 78.5 inches while a 12" circle is 113.04 square inches.

I'd try drawing a 10" circle around the densest part of both patterns and recount the pellet numbers.   

MOSPURS

point to ponder

whats better
slow hit or a fast miss?????

surehuntsalot

pattern is what counts

have killed way to many birds with the old 3" 2oz and 3.5" 2-1/4oz loads to know that velocity isn't that big of a deal
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

apollo11

Bad decisions make good stories.