OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Bird on the ground....story/pics to come!

Started by trkehunr93, April 15, 2013, 11:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Rolled the dice this morning and it paid off.  At work right now but will get the story and pics up as soon as I can.  BTW killed my first double bearded gobbler ever this morning.

UPDATED

VA season opened Sat. AM and I was never was in the game as I could only hunt until 7:30AM, I had committed to run in a 5k with some coworkers not realizing the date  >:(.  Heard a couple Sat. AM but only 6 gobbles between the two, all in all it was really quiet.  Well I checked the weather last night and the forecast was rain and I hate hunting in the rain but going on some intel I had from preseason scouting I thought that I might getty lucky hunting a small hayfield on the main place I hunt.  I have never hunted this field before as it sits by a main road but a creek separates its and the road so I told my wife I was going to chance it.  I drove across the creek at 6AM and had my pop up blind and decoys set up by 6:15A.  I got settled in and by 6:30A one gobbles across the main road less than 150 yrds. from me so by 6:45A I throw my hat in the ring and he nevers says another word.  At this point I look out my blind only to see that I have staked one of my decoys in the ground crooked so she looks like she is leaning to the left but it's too light to get out and chance spooking something so I sit tight, still quiet other than rain.  I call periodically and keep a vigil on the right side of my blind in case he decided to wade the creek for some lovin' but still nothing.  By 8AM my inflatable decoy's head is sagging like she is standing up taking a nap but I just leave it alone, it's to open to get out and add some air to her.  Finally at 8:15A I call and one gobbles way to my left.  There is a longer field across the creek from me and he sounds like he is on the ridge above that field, so I keep calling and he gobbles again.  He is still along ways off and I was only going to be able to hunt to 9AM so I keep calling and I reach to get my Able Assassin mouth call and when I look back out the window to my left I see a turkey standing in the other field across the creek.  I figure it can see the decoys so I keep calling and I start to see other turkeys walking in the field and some look like they are walking straight across the field to go the other way, I get real trashy with the calling and after a bit I can tell one of them has a beard so I throw out some fighting purrs and that was all it took.  I see two gobblers walking to the creek bank and they drop out of sight.  Once they do my gun is to my shoulder and I am waiting for white heads to pop up.  I keep looking out the left window but I still do not see them, they walked up to the decoys in my blind spot and are standing at 20 yards when they step out to the right.  I inch my gun up the last few inches and let the one to the left have it.  He hits the ground like a sack of hammers and his buddy wastes no time getting the h*&! out of dodge!  When I get to him thats when I see the double  beard.  Great way to start off the season!  Good luck to everybody!

WNY Bowhunter

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

davisd9

Congratulations!  We needed a good bird and you put one down.  I have never killed a double bearded bird, that is on my wish list.  Way to go and cannot wait to see the pictures!

:z-guntootsmiley:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

Congrats!!!  I hoping some one would kill a multi-beard :smiley-char092:

davisd9

Congratulations again! Good story, sometimes when we feel we are wasting our time and things seem to be going bad is when the harvest comes! Keep on them. You have one or two tags left?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bustabeak

Awesome bird! I've yet to kill a double bearded long beard... I killed a jake one year that had two beards. Congratulations!

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on April 15, 2013, 10:18:13 PM
Congratulations again! Good story, sometimes when we feel we are wasting our time and things seem to be going bad is when the harvest comes! Keep on them. You have one or two tags left?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Very true!  I have never been one to like hunting in the rain but it does pay off.  I have two tags left and just over 4 weeks to go.

boomer

dirt road ninja

Great bird! That will be tough to beat. Congrats!!!!