News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

loss of lessons learned

Started by dirt road ninja, January 14, 2019, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Happy on January 14, 2019, 01:41:02 PM
I have heard the hype on the longbeard ammo but testing in my gun showed that 50 yards is the max range I would feel confident with it.  That's with 2 oz #5's. I am sure some of it is the way I have it set up but there is a lot of marketing hype that is really detrimental to the sport with most ammo companies.

Agreed. I shoot longbeards but am well aware of their limit in my gun. The marketing/adds on these when they came out was unethical in my opinion.

Gooserbat

I've been on the TSS Train for a few years now.  Honestly It's picked up some yardage but out of the 20 or so birds I've taken in the last 3 years, I only can think of one bird that those extra steps made a difference on.  That said I'll keep using it and enjoying it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

I shoot tss out of my 20ga and enjoy loading them. I am a turkey hunter and dont use it to extend my range. I use it because in my opinion it is the most effective in energy and patterns that i have found. I shoot birds no farther than i have over my 40 years of turkey hunting. I have let birds walk that i know i could have most likely killed with it because i felt they were past 45 yards. I still have what i feel are acceptable goals. Thats to play the game and get them in close. Even though they are in effective range for tss , i still feel i did not beat the bird so he lives to do battle with me again. Just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 14, 2019, 10:23:43 PM
I shoot tss out of my 20ga and enjoy loading them. I am a turkey hunter and dont use it to extend my range. I use it because in my opinion it is the most effective in energy and patterns that i have found. I shoot birds no farther than i have over my 40 years of turkey hunting. I have let birds walk that i know i could have most likely killed with it because i felt they were past 45 yards. I still have what i feel are acceptable goals. Thats to play the game and get them in close. Even though they are in effective range for tss , i still feel i did not beat the bird so he lives to do battle with me again. Just my 2 cents.
Totally agree, great post....

Gobbler2577

I remember back 18 or 19 years ago I hunted a bird 13 or 14 mornings in a row.  He was using a guys farm that has 3 creeks running through it.  The creeks ar more or less parallel and about 100 yards apart with mostly pasture between.  I never could get that bird to cross any of the creeks and he would roost and then fly down in a completely different place every day.  There were times I could've easily killed him with what is available today but I learned more from that one gobbler than any other single bird.  I will never forget killing him at 12 steps or the sadness I felt the morning after knowing he was gone.  I like killing them, but that's not what it is about.  Some of my best memories are birds I never laid eyes on.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on January 16, 2019, 08:52:52 AMSome of my best memories are birds I never laid eyes on.

Ain't that the absolute truth.
:icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot