turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The time is soon approaching!

Started by Mossberg90MN, November 19, 2021, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Fellas it will be here before you know it! This is the time of year I really start to anticipate Turkey season.  It always has the tendency to sneak up on me... what I mean by that is... even though it's what I'm focusing on, and prepping for, once opener hits there's always something I had on my list that I wasn't able to get to before the season starts. Whether that be locating more gobblers, scouting some out of state spots, prepping my vehicle for the long drives and camping in it.

You best believe that come January I will be switched on to Turkeys 110% I still got a doe tag to fill so that may keep me busy until the end of the year, but there's NOTHING I want more, then being in the hardwoods calling to a Tom, and having him break the silence with a woods rattling gobble 40 yards from me off to the side,  just out of sight.

I can't wait to go toe to toe with these grand birds, and get my butt wooped and still come back for more. Spending my summer days pondering on what I could have done different etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I hear ya', buddy!  Spring gobbler hunting is always in the back of my mind.  Plans have been in the works with several others that I have "met" here on OG since the end of last spring's hunt and we are in the process of hashing out the details. 

On the other hand, I still have an assortment of hunting to be done between now and next spring that will help keep me distracted until we get a bit closer.  We've still got assorted small game and waterfowl to pursue the next couple of months, as well as some upcoming elk hunting, javelina hunting, and even Barbary sheep and Persian ibex if I was decide to really test myself physically at my "ripe, old age".   ;D

Nevertheless, spring gobbler hunting is the highlight of my hunting life nowadays,....and it is never far from the top of my thought processes.   :icon_thumright:

fallhnt

Wait....I'm still fall hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tail Feathers

My thoughts are never very far from turkey season.  I killed a buck today and that makes two deer, I'm done with deer season for all practical purposes.  My thought will turn more to turkey and I'll be practicing my calling real soon.

I wish we had a fall turkey season, it sounds like a blast.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kygobblergetter

My thoughts have been on turkeys for a while now. Been getting plenty of practice in on the trumpet while I (not so patiently) wait. Only 16 weeks and some change until Mississippi!

Happy

I think about turkeys every day. However now is the time to put meat in the freezer. I love fall in the Northeast, smelling the smoke from wood stove on a cold crisp day and the fun my oldest boy and I have deer hunting. He is more about big antlers and I am more about tenderloin,steaks,burger and breakfast sausage. So I turn him loose on all the older deer I know about and just enjoy puttering around and appreciating a day off and in the woods. The younger ones eat better in my opinion anyways and I get a kick out of watching him run around like a young pup full of vinegar. He knows what he wants to do but he ain't too sure how to go about it. A week ago I turned him onto a really nice buck for our area. I had saved this buck for my youth hunter to get a crack at. Put a ladder stand in and left it alone for a while. Well he would have killed it if the wind hadn't betrayed us while he was at 50 yards and my hunter was waiting for him to step clear of some brush. Anyways I let the oldest in on it to try and kill it with his bow with specific instructions on where to use his climbing treestand and how to walk in so the buck didn't cross his scent trail. First attempt was a bust but I got home last night from a work trip and my boy was out after him again. Guess who forgot his tree stand and went and sat in my ladder stand and guess who walked by exactly where my boy was supposed to be? Thats the stuff I enjoy in the fall. It gets me by until spring. And I am not referring to Guess who on this forum, though I would find it believable that he would forget something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

quavers59

I would like to try Mississippi one Spring.Is that the 1st State to open?

Tom007

Turkey hunting is like a song that won't leave your head. It is always on my mind each and everyday.. amen my friends....
"Solo hunter"

Gobbler-one

Spring turkey season is never far away from my thoughts as well. As many have mentioned I do enjoy the fall weather and chasing Whitetails and various other small game as the seasons come in but catch myself scouting and thinking of turkeys most often while in the woods. I also enjoy coming home after a evening sit in a chilly deer stand for a hot meal then relaxing in front of the fireplace with a good book on turkey hunting. Preferably a book geared toward hunting tales and adventure more so than biology and how too. I collect both but the latter is a bit dry for my taste when I'm relaxing and daydreaming about spring gobblers.
My turkey vest and gear pretty much stays ready from season to season, but I go through everything for a preseason check each year. I try to hold off until at least February to do this.
I find myself also walking through the house picking up a call and hitting a few notes randomly all year long.
I was driving with my wife on a back road heading to my son's house Saturday evening to help with a project when a bachelor group of six longbeards walked out from the woods on the left heading into a cutover grown back to broom straw on the right. All thoughts of where I was headed and the project to be worked on went out the window. I'm certain most everyone on this form has had similar experiences.
I also spend time while waiting on turkey season scanning this site for topics of interest. It helps to communicate with likeminded individuals who are suffering/sharing  the same affliction that I do. I think we may all differ in approach, method, and technique but have the same passion for pursuing this most worthy and in my opinion most majestic of all game birds.
This is the norm for me each year, but I do tend to catch a second gear about January charging toward our opener in March. I'm pretty much whipped and wore out by the seasons end, but a couple days of rest and sleeping in and I'm already missing it.

Mossberg90MN

Yup it's definitely always on my mind, even when I'm deer hunting I'm thinking about those spring mornings. Even when I hear a crow I do a little "Mental Gobble" hahah

Yea my vest is all packed and ready to go it's the only piece of hunting gear that I actually have out and hanging in my home office versus put away in a closet or storage bin. Kinda like Batman's suit, it's hanging out on display.

I'll be using the Run n Gun 300 vest this year, used the Cabela's vest last year but it would make noise when I would walk. Never gave it too much thought but a buddy of mine pointed it out when we went out last year. I just wish that seat cushion was better on that 300.