only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting in maine

Started by Prohunter3509, August 01, 2019, 07:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Ok I am thinking about a trip to Maine next spring
That's way out of my comfort zone but wife wants to go
Anybody on here hunt there . P.m. Me please I woulike to know what I may be getting into .
South ms boy here . Looking for place to think about and places not to .
Thank guys

quavers59

Before last Spring, I bought a nice Wood Box Tongue call from Jerry Bilodeau up in Belfast Maine.He sent a few nice pics with the call of some big Gobblers he took.  Belfast is on the Southren Coast of Maine south of Bangor. I recently watched a nice video about New Brunswick ,Canada Turkeys which is right next to Maine. Luck with your search.

quavers59

Jerry BILODEAU also has a nice Utube video up called - homemade Turkey calls. They go for 20 Bucks. His contact info and phone number is there. I would give him a call about hunting areas in Maine. I bet he will help you out.  Maybe buy one of his calls as well. Luck to you next Spring in Maine.

quavers59

That video by Jerry Bilodeau is - handmade Turkey calls at  village soupwaldo as there are a bunch on that page.

Jrkimbrough

Check out the "Turkey Hunter Podcast".  I know Andy just recently posted an episode from where they hunted in Maine this past spring.  I'm sure he'd give you some pointers if you contacted him.

haystaddle

Maine is a great turkey hunt.  Tons of public land and it is a reverse trespass state. Meaning if land is not expressly posted against trespass you are allowed to hunt it. Two bird limit in spring and NR permits are $20.00 along with a $115.00 NR hunting license. They also just passed law allowing up to # 9 TSS to be allowed next spring. Permission is easy to get on most posted property as the locals generally dislike turkeys. There is a common misbelief that they eat all the food to the detriment of deer and grouse. Make sure you can get up early. Being so far east legal shooting hours are all before 5 AM.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: haystaddle on August 03, 2019, 05:06:58 PM
Maine is a great turkey hunt.  Tons of public land and it is a reverse trespass state. Meaning if land is not expressly posted against trespass you are allowed to hunt it. Two bird limit in spring and NR permits are $20.00 along with a $115.00 NR hunting license. They also just passed law allowing up to # 9 TSS to be allowed next spring. Permission is easy to get on most posted property as the locals generally dislike turkeys. There is a common misbelief that they eat all the food to the detriment of deer and grouse. Make sure you can get up early. Being so far east legal shooting hours are all before 5 AM.
... and make sure your clothes are well treated with permethrin.  There are a lot of ticks and a high percentage of the ticks are carrying Lyme. 

Prohunter3509

Wow didn't know ticks were that bad that far north
Thanks guys

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on August 03, 2019, 06:58:45 PM
Wow didn't know ticks were that bad that far north
Thanks guys
Ranked worst state for Lyme 2018 and 2019

zelmo1

Only need to buy a small game license to hunt turkeys. I haven't seen the rules on shot smaller than #6's but have heard rumors. NWTF chapters provided info to Maine Fish and Game so hopefully it goes through. Ticks are really bad up here too.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: zelmo1 on August 03, 2019, 09:18:24 PM
Only need to buy a small game license to hunt turkeys. I haven't seen the rules on shot smaller than #6's but have heard rumors. NWTF chapters provided info to Maine Fish and Game so hopefully it goes through. Ticks are really bad up here too.
The new TSS regs are on the DIFW site now - TSS in shot sizes 7 to 9 is now legal

zelmo1

You are correct Sir. It only took them till this year to update a 20 year old law. And you can use sub gauges below 20, including .410. Thank god for technology

WV Flopper

Awesome place to hunt. Granted I have never turkey hunted there but I am sure it would be great, would like to go myself.

1st: Contact the Maine Turkey Biologist. They will put you directly on birds
2nd: 100% treat your clothing, gear, self for ticks before getting out of your vehicle.
      The women and I were setting on a rock in November moose hunting and it was snowing. When the snow stopped there were ticks crawling on the rock we were sitting on. No joke!
3rd: Most friendly people I have ever been around
4th: Its a beautifull place.
5th: With one day of riding around you should be able to locate and plan for a successful turkey hunt.
6th: Private cabins are for rent every where. "Some can be pricey!"

I love the time I have spent in Maine, been there many times. Look around China, to the East and South along the coast. Bunch of places to hunt and a bunch of turkeys. Nice rolling ground with some speed bumps here and there. Have fun.

Prohunter3509