News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hawaii turkey hunting

Started by GobbleNut, June 01, 2016, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

My wife has informed me that I am taking her to Hawaii.   :newmascot:
I figure I ought to try to make the most of it while I'm there, so now I am looking for information about hunting there next March.  Anybody had any experience hunting Hawaii,...and any words of wisdom for setting up a hunt?

nitro

Parker Ranch on the Big Island. Rios and not overly expensive ( once you get to Hawaii).. Beautiful place. We saw turkeys all over the area.  Didn't hunt. Next trip there I hope to cross that off the list.
Royal Slam 2008

hookedspur

I watched one of the Goofy Busbice boys, and I think it was the originator of Flextone calls hunt on one of the Islands
on a Wildgame Nation TV show this year while I was at a hunting lodge.
But I don't remember who they were hunting with .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkeyfeathers

stinkpickle

I would definitely look into the Parker Ranch.

LI Outdoorsman

Went there a few years ago with another couple....because of our friends business scheduling I missed spring turkey season by about 2 weeks..(UGH!)...However I did get to hunt the Parker ranch for goats on the Big Island..We rented a car and drove the entire island for over a week , I lost count of how many turkeys we saw!...they are everywhere!...I have unfinished business there for sure...I'll BE BACK!.
If you have the opportunity to go dont miss out!
(got a nice goat too)

Tail Feathers

Sounds like a good trip.  I was told by someone who hunted there that it's odd hunting in the wide open.  You may have an old fallen tree trunk to hide against but there is very little cover.
And the lava ground is a boot eater.
I'd still go, given the opportunity!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

I have a buddy that has gone multiple times...

He started hunting public only, but has since been invited to hunt private ground (bought the right guy a beer at a local pub apparently). 

I know for public ground, you can only hunt weekends...

He killed two birds several times, and killed at least one every trip...  Been about 4 years since he has gone....

I also know he used to rent a house inland to save money...  They would rent a nice house for the whole family at a quarter of the cost of a cheap motel in the tourist areas...  About 20 minute extra drive to the beach, but closer to the hunting...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

LI Outdoorsman

Hawaii was always hyped up for tourists and the famous luau's..but its definitely underrated as a sportman's destination...The hunting is very low pressure with lots of game species and the fishing out of Kona is outstanding...deep water close to shore and always protected from winds...

GobbleNut

Thanks everybody for the good information,....keep it coming!
Jim

tha bugman

Get ready for fences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

The big island is stupid with game.  We vacationed there several years ago, and strutters filled the golf course at the resort every morning. (http://www.vacationhawaii.com/paniolo-greens-resort)   And the pheasants...I thought I was in South Dakota.

Cove

Jim,

You'll definitely want to make that trip. I was there along with gobble157 this past March. It was a blast.

Unless you really want to be lazy, there is no need in paying the Parker Ranch guys. Not sure where the weekend hunting only thing came in, that's simply not true. The only real pain is having to check your guns with the PD. You can send me a pm for more information.

Marc

Quote from: Cove on June 02, 2016, 01:16:23 PM
Not sure where the weekend hunting only thing came in, that's simply not true.

I got curious and looked it up, and apparently some areas have extended the days that can be hunted...

I could not find turkey hunting days, but this is for bird hunting...  There are restrictions on the days of the week that can be hunted on different islands and different areas though.  You need to look at where you are hunting and figure out which days you can legally hunt.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/announcements/nr15-160f/

ISLAND OF HAWAI'I
MAUNA KEA GAME MANAGEMENT AREA AND FOREST RESERVE AND PU'U MALI MITIGATION SITE (UNIT A) will be open for game bird hunting Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season. Mammal hunting will be closed in Units G and A below the tree line during the legal game bird season as stated in Ch. 123 "Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting".
POHAKULOA TRAINING AREA will be open for game bird hunting, at the direction of the Department of Defense, subject to training schedule.  Hunters are to call the Pohakuloa hunter's hotline at (808)-969-3474 for information on hunting days, open areas and access routes.

KAPAPALA RANCH COOPERATIVE GMA AND KAPAPALA FOREST RESERVE will be open for game bird hunting Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.
PU'U WA'AWA'A FOREST RESERVE AND PUUANAHULU, WEST SECTION (UNIT F) – All sections of Pu'u Wa'awa'a FR, will be open for game bird hunting Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the 2015-2016 game bird season.  Vehicles must remain on designated roads to minimize the risk of fire. Maps will be made available at the Pu'u Wa'awa'a hunter check Station and at the DOFAW offices in Hilo and Kamuela. Please leave all gates as they are found due to active cattle ranching in the area.
PU'UANAHULU GMA, EAST SECTION will be open for game bird hunting Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.   
KA'OHE GAME MANAGEMENT AREA AND KAOHE MITIGATION SITE (UNIT G) will be open for game bird hunting Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.
KIPUKA 'AINAHOU will be open for game bird hunting on weekends and state holidays throughout the game bird hunting season.  A special permit is required, and is available from the Division of Forestry and Wildlife offices in Hilo and Kamuela and at the Pu'u Huluhulu hunter check station.  Hunters are to avoid nene geese that are in the area.  Mammal hunting in this area is closed from November 1 through February.
CLOSED:  KAHUA/PONOHOLO RANCH SPECIAL PERMIT AREA will be closed due to continuing drought conditions and concerns about the potential for wildland fires.
OPEN:  All other public hunting areas not listed above are open to game bird hunting on weekends and state holidays, November 7, 2015 through January 31, 2016 in accordance with Chapter 13-122.
PRIVATELY OWNED LANDS are open to game bird hunting on weekends, state holidays and Wednesdays – Thursdays for Units A, G, PTA and private lands during the regular game bird season which is November 7, 2015 through January 31, 2016, with landowner permission and in accordance with Chapter 13-122.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cove

That's referring to upland bird hunting. Doesn't apply to turkey. It does get confusing because some of those areas mentioned are not available during the spring at all. You really have to call and get in someone's ear to figure out where you are allowed to go and where you're not. It is definitely one of those areas you don't want to show up and "fly by the seat of your pants" . . . .