turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake or tom?

Started by JMalin, April 26, 2016, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

I agree with some of the others that this is a tom.  Just my opinion, but spurs are not a very clear indicator of a bird's age.  I've killed birds with short spurs, one spur, and no spurs.  On this site, there have even been 3 and four spurred birds posted.  Lots of variables it seems when it comes to spurs.  I would put beard length as a close-second (to not indicating age).  We all know what a jake pencil beard looks like, but I have seen just as many rotted 6-7 inch beards as I have paintbrushes.  Seems that a lot of factors also play a role in a turkey's beard length. 

The one indicator that doesn't seem to fail aging them is the tailfan.  If it is a full fan, it is a tom - despite beard and/or spur length.
Pass it on...

Tail Feathers

Tom.  Has a longbeard and full fan.  Spurs can be genetically small.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Va3toes

Congratulations! Definitely a Tom.

WNCTracker

WyoHunter

Quote from: longbeard11 on April 26, 2016, 10:46:01 AM
Tom for sure! I've seen lol beards with no spurs at all. Full fan, long beard, that's a Tom
Quote from: GED6531 on April 26, 2016, 03:09:38 PM
I think the fan is the most accurate and most consistent way to for sure tell if it is a jake or tom. I would say this is a tom.
I agree. I've shot mature gobblers birds with no spurs. If a gobbler comes in and is not strutting I check his beard length to determine if I'm going to shoot. A full fan is the best way IMO to determine whether he's a mature bird. 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jtoliver43

Ive killed a bird just like that. Full fan, long beard and nubs for spurs. He also had tiny legs and feet all together. but he came in gobbling and strutting like a boss!
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

Number17

I killed a 10" longbeard a few years back that was getting harassed by a trio of jakes.

He only weighed 15lb and had zero spurs. Not even a break in the scales on the back of his legs.
His head and neck seemed undersized too. Strange bird, but another 10" rope for the beard box!

Check the distance from tip to tip on the lower feathers of the fan. A 2 year old will be around 28" and older birds will get increasingly longer. This indicator has been pretty conclusive with other indicators of age for me.
My biggest fan was nearly 33" across. He was 23lb, thick black 10" beard, and 1 5/16" spurs.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

catman529

I've killed "jakebeards" or super jakes/young toms in October, but their spurs are already pushing 3/4" and beards about 8". My guess is it was an especially early born jake that molted early and grew a full fan. But I am no expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renegade19

Well, after reading this thread, I'm convinced that the "big" jake I killed this morning is in fact a tom!  Thanks for the uplift in my spirits guys!!  BTW:  Full fan, 6" beard, 1/2" spurs. 

surehuntsalot

tom
a hunting partner of mine killed a bird 1 week ago that had a full fan, 6-3/4" beard and no spurs of any kind
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I say Tom. Could be genetics or diet that caused nub spurs.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

OldMarine

Definitely a mature  Gobbler and not a Jake . I've killed a few with a good hanging beard and no spurs .You got cheated on the spurs.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

g8rvet

Another vote for Tom.  He has molted.  Probably hatched late in the spring, but been through a molt. His age is counted like a race horse, number of years he has been alive on Jan 1.  Actually the fan convinces me.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Turkeyman

It is my understanding that all adult turkeys, hens and gobblers, go through one complete molt every summer. Any feathers lost throughout the year are replaced, but that's different than a molt. Young turkeys go through several molts in their first year. Jakes have longer central tail feathers because they are going through their final molt to become an adult. By summer's end all tail feathers have molted and, voila, adult bird. Beard and spur length can be variable.

Meadow Valley Man

Your spirits should be high regardless of the age of your turkey. The quality of your hunt is unquestioned-it was safe and successful. Did your heart rate go up before the shot?  In the end, that's all that matters.