OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Return of the Wild Turkey (1970)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 21, 2016, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Satellitehunter

Great video. I love those old  outdoor documentaries especially on turkey's 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSchool

I hadn't seen that, thank you. :icon_thumright:

I can remember our DEC stocking birds here in the late 70's and the posters on fence posts along a backroad that read $500.00 reward for info leading to the arrest of anybody messing with them. I wish I had one of those signs.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

357MAGNOLE

I know where one is. It's old and in a old game check shack
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

M Sharpe

Quote from: OldSchool on February 22, 2016, 10:07:26 AM

I can remember our DEC stocking birds here in the late 70's and the posters on fence posts along a backroad that read $500.00 reward for info leading to the arrest of anybody messing with them. I wish I had one of those signs.

Bob

Hey Bob, you mean the NWTF don't you???
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

OldSchool

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 22, 2016, 11:07:49 AM

Bob

Hey Bob, you mean the NWTF don't you???

Good catch, thank you. ;)

Bob

MK M GOBL

Thanks for sharing, fun to watch those old videos!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Bob

My Great Uncle was part of a program here in the state of Wisconsin through the WDNR and had raised "Wild" turkeys for them to release. Ultimately this program failed as the birds were half wild/half domestic which later on lead to the trap and transplant program trade with the state of Missouri. I have my great uncles "WI Licensed" turkey program sign! 

MK M GOBL

mgm1955

Great piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

OldSchool

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 22, 2016, 11:56:31 AM

Bob

My Great Uncle was part of a program here in the state of Wisconsin through the WDNR and had raised "Wild" turkeys for them to release. Ultimately this program failed as the birds were half wild/half domestic which later on lead to the trap and transplant program trade with the state of Missouri. I have my great uncles "WI Licensed" turkey program sign! 

MK M GOBL

Cool! :icon_thumright:

Bob

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Meadow Valley Man

This video was a mainstay of the Wisconsin DNR Turkey Hunter Education Clinics beginning in 1983. I was an instructor for these clinics from 1989 through 2001, and I never got tired of watching it.

owlhoot

1tiogabowhunter

Very neat liked seeing the old footage and the camera work.  Also neat to reflect on the trapping methods I recall them being used when I first started hunting them.  Thanks for sharing

silvestris

I remember signs on the highway west of Clarendon, Arkansas along the White River bottoms on Hwy. 79 offering rewards.  That was long before the NWTF.  And I thought the NWTF created the Wild Turkey.  Learn something new everyday.

That was a great video.  Hat's off to the Missouri Department, although I imagine that most, if not all, who were involved in the production are gone.  Ecology, habitat, limiting factors, hunting, poaching, life cycle, this video covered it all and I am sure it was entertaining and educational at a time when the Wild Turkey really needed a boost.  Come to think of it, the Wild Turkey needs a boost now in many areas with past abundance.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game