OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Haven't seen the first poult

Started by reflexl, August 01, 2014, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Haven't seen any and neither has anyone else. Starting to worry. Wondering if the 5 tornadoes in one night ad anything to do with it. They hit prime turkey country. One of them that was up to 2 miles wide at one pint stayed on the ground for 17 miles. reflexl

Tail Feathers

I've seen a few.  I saw two hens with some, one hen with none...or at least I didn't see any with her.  It's so thick around here by hatch time it's hard to say.  I honestly don't see many turkeys in the summer or winter.
But I've been lucky at finding 'em in the spring! :you_rock:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

R AJ

I have seen some small tracks in the roads along side mama hen and heard a few reports of seeing the little fellas in south Alabama.

Snoodsniper

Seem to have a good hatch here in PA. I've seen quite a few poults.

Tomcat655

Storms can hurt but I hear they are resilient in those cases but them varmints and skunks tear em up.  It's a good hatch here is south Mississippi but I've been wearing out the little critters on the farm.
:z-guntootsmiley:

R AJ

Update- Yesterday I saw 2 hens with only three poults with them. Poults about the size of bantam chickens . This is not a good sign and hopefully not the norm this spring. We have had an extremely heavy amount of rainfall this spring and summer so vegetation and insects are plentiful.

Even in some areas that are very suitable for turkey populations I have seen fewer birds for the past three years or so. What is crazy is that the quail seem to be coming back fairly strong. Go figure.

owlhoot

2 hens with 7 poults at 10 feet today , they are i guess 6 to 7 lbs. Looked good and healthy.

R AJ

My brother in Spencer, Tn reported seeing two different bunches of poults in the range of a dozen or so in each group. Just a few years ago there were few if any in that area.

DC1.

I saw 3 hens with 16 about chicken size saturday and 2 hens with 5 a little bigger today in SW MS.  :drool:

reflexl

Still not seeing any. I have a bad feeling......

darn2ten

Here you go Roy, saw these on my place Saturday. There was 9 poults and 2 hens. First ones I've seen, and I sure was glad to see them.

Spring Creek Calls

I've seen multiple hens with poults recently here in MI. One hen took her brood thru my yard last week, 8 poults. Fanned her tail and puffed up when my dog came out, but decided to run when the dog saw her. Underground fence stopped him well short. Poults were pheasant size.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

jblackburn

My dad in central MO has been seeing several flocks of hens/poults.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

reflexl

saw two hens with one poult......... :(

crappieangler

Seen a group with 2 hens and over a dozen poults and couple hundred yards down the road another hen with for sure 5 or 6 maybe more about a mile from a spot I have permission to.  Saw a single hen, but not sure if there were poults or not on the actual property.  I don't ever see them since I'm an hour away from home, but was out for an afternoon drive and figured I'd swing through.  they were about pheasant sized and could fly