OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

at what age did you start taking your kid?

Started by SouthEastNC, March 08, 2013, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

My oldest is 4 as of December and the next will be 3 in a few days, both say they want to go.  I will take the 4 year old for sure and if I can find a good spot to put up a blind I will take them both.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Tom Dooley

My oldest killed his first turkey about 2 months before his 7th birthday. He was a very calm patient kid. My other son killed his first turkey when he was 8. All kids are different and there is no perfect age to start.

firstflight111

I started to take my boys at 5 years old just to learn what its all about .none of them could hunt till they passed there hunters safety .now there 15 ,13,10 all great hunter's, and have the great passion for hunting that i do .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

whiskey

Started my daughter tagging along at 5, she got a .22 that same year and started shooting. Killed a squirrel at 6, doves and deer at 9, turkey at 10.

Start them early. Be patient. Make the hunt about having fun, don't worry about killing anything. The best day I spent in the woods with my daughter was when she was 12 and we just walked around shooting pine cones and empty cans.

Jbird22

First took my little boy with me dove hunting when he was a few months shy of 3 years old. He got a kick out of picking em up. He's 4 and like Del said he's to wild/hard-headed (like his mom..lol) to do much else yet.

ALfwlmth

Duck and deer: age 3. Turkey hunts: age 5.Shooting at all 3: age 6. Preach gun safety and how you never get a bullet back, to the point of being nauseous.  I find myself learning more and more from HIM each hunt.

gophert

My daughter hunted alongside me at the age of 9 for the first time.  The next season she killed her first turkey at age 10.

Video:  http://youtu.be/PN8lPFbm-Pk

misfire

My son went on his first hunting trip when he was 4, now it is 15 years later, and hunting is all he can think of
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

rlbreakfield

My boy got his first bird when he was 6yrs old.  I asked him if he wanted to kill another bird last year and he gave me a funny look and said "I already killed one last year, why would I want to kill another one?"  He obviously didn't catch THE FEVER :funnyturkey:

firstflight111

and the day before the hunting starts i take them to the store and let them pick out there snacks candy bars drinks and what ever else they want to grub on for the weekend .that way the have what they like .never chips in the turkey blind  ::)
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

birdyhunter

My 18 mo goes with me scouting and has been to the deer blind with me a few times as well. He will most likely be with me in the turkey blind a few times this year and we will be shed hunting very soon. In my limited experience kids minds and capabilities are only limited by the parents and their misconceptions of what the child can do. I give my son every opportunity to experience and learn at a very early age and it shows in his massive vocabulary and understanding of different things. My advice is to take him as soon as he can walk. Don't worry about killing anything when he goes just make it fun and let him see some animals. You will appreciate it when he gets older and is already accustomed to hunting.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Nicky

I took my youngest at age 11, he wasn't ready. He missed 3 in one day, he was so frustrated he didn't go again for 3 years. He's 15 now, hopefully we can get him one in the PA or NY youth season next month.

Burney Mac

I don't have any children. However, my dad took me to the dove field at 2 yrs old. Started shooting doves at 4, killed my first turkey at 8, and first two deer at 8. I guess it depends on the child and the circumstances. I've been eat up with hunting from diapers. I was never asked to go I was always asking when are we going. I was never afraid of recoil, or muzzle blast or any of that. Some kids seem to be a little gun shy at times, but I never have been. Whenever the age may be that they are interested in any facet of the hunt or fishing take them when you can. Those memories made with my dad when I was young are priceless and ones I recall quite often. I wish we had taken more pictures back then. Dad would wade into the duck swamp with me on his shoulders and set me on a log, stump, or whatever just so I could be with him. He used to do the same with me when he would go run his bird dogs. Priceless memories that I cherish.....
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."