OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Small Game Shotgun?

Started by NightHawk24, August 25, 2020, 06:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightHawk24

Got back into squirrel hunting this year and I'm currently using my Stoeger M3020 which is my turkey gun, but I'm looking for a 20ga specifically for small game. If you guys have any suggestions let me know. Also do you prefer the Winchester Super X small game or Remington Express load? Thanks.

Tom007

Lots of options here. Over-unders make great small game guns. It all depends on what budget your working with. I like over-unders due to their ease of unloading. Small game hunting is a gregarious event, dogs, fellow hunters, sometimes group gatherings The ease and break open ability lends itself well to that environment. Good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

rakkin6

I have I Benelli Nova that I use for squirrel and rabbit. Good shotgun and not super expensive. Once deer season ends and the leaves are off the trees I switch to a .22lr for squirrel.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

For duel purpose , get you 20 ga . Rem and this can be backup to your turkey gun.. like others have said lot's of options ...and prices ...

rakkin6

Has far has ammo I am a shoot Winchester. Had some bad lick with several light strikes on slugs and some of their rifle ammo. This could be just bad lick on my part. But the slug cost me a nice 10 and after that I said no more.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lmbunch69

My favorite for squirrels is an old mossberg bolt action 410. 3in #6s out to 30 or so yards. Out of a 12 I like #5s better.

Loyalist84

I carry a 20g over/under for small game, but if I was doing it all again I'd get a side by side 28ga

Gooserbat

I'm a 22 guy. Give me my Browning SA22
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Quote from: Gooserbat on August 26, 2020, 06:43:51 AM
I'm a 22 guy. Give me my Browning SA22
I am as well.   I'd like to know how many rounds I've put through my Dads old Marlin 39A since I was a kid.

But if I was taking a shotgun in a 20 gauge it would be my old Winchester 37 that I killed my first gobbler with over 50 years ago.   Seems like the older I get the more I enjoy carrying my childhood friends.   As far as the shells mentioned put a check mark by the Winchester Super X for me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Crghss

16 ga SxS for me. But for squirrels I like a .22lr.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

WildTigerTrout

1959 vintage Winchester Model 12 28" barrel Modified choke 12 ga for me. Squirrels are strictly a rifleman's game IMO. either 22LR or 17HM2.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Find an older H&R Topper single shot in 20 gauge.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

DP42912

4-10s are a lot more of fun, just got the boy one now I want one lol.

Bagg-it Tag-it

I like a .22 for squirrel hunting as well but not nearly as much as the squirrels like my .22. Those bushy tail bandits are like ninjas with the leaves on the trees and could out Houdini.....well, Houdini. Next time I go I'm taking my 12 gauge.  :z-guntootsmiley:

wvmntnhick

Any shotgun will work. I find myself more concerned about shot size than anything. Nothing smaller than 6's for squirrels but my preference is for 5's and sometimes 4's. Less shot in the pattern = less shot on the meat. I've hunted with guys that often carried the cheaper 7.5-8's that they could buy in the bulk packs. They'll kill, no doubt. But, later in the year, hunting with a dog and watching squirrels timber out from tree to tree, I'll take a harder hitting shot any day. I've seen squirrels pack off some of the lighter stuff and get back to a hole. They'll die but I want them dead before they get to the den.

To answer your question though, if I'm using a shotgun, it's rarely a 12 ga. Most times it'll be a 20 unless I'm feeling like more of a challenge. Then I'll grab the 410. Still kills them just as dead but have to be a bit more selective on shots. If nostalgia comes into the picture, I'll grab the 16 ga. IF I'm taking a 12, it's a SxS dbl bbl. Generally though, it's a 22. Don't get to go much until late in the season anyway. Once the leaves are off, no need for a scatter gun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk