Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ladies & gentleman !!! Let me introduce .................

Started by Yoder409, June 18, 2020, 09:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

.........the NEXT name in call makers that you're going to be hearing a LOT more about !!!!!

A box showed up at the post office today.  A box kinda in the shape of the kind that holds a box call.  But kinda long.  Like maybe it held a long box call.  It wasn't a surprise.  I've been talking to a gentleman for a while..........he told me he'd been monkeying around building paddle calls.  I said, "Oh, yeah ??"  Long-ish story short.........he sent me a couple pics of some calls he had done.  I was instantly impressed.  Said if they sounded HALF as good as they looked, I wanted one.  I asked him that when he was ready to make one to sell to someone, I'd like to have Call #1 out of his shop..........a checkered cedar paddle over butternut.  He agreed.  Then he suggested another combo that was HIS favorite.  I said "OK.  Make me one of those and I'll have Call #1 AND Call #2".  (More details on the second one later).

Anyhoo.........opened the box up like a kid on Christmas morning.  What I unwrapped was an EXTREMELY well executed piece of woodworking.

Fit and finish are EXCELLENT !!!  But, really..........the proof is in the ear.  The call came with a paper towel under the paddle to keep it off the rails in shipping.  Naturally, that will take most of the chalk (a piece came supplied) off the call.  Without re-chalking, I fired the call up just because I can't help myself like that.  This call is VERY well tuned !!!  Without even trying, I was pulling 8 different hens and two different gobblers out of it.  Eventually, I did run the chalk over it and it came into its own and runs almost effortlessly.  I've only played with it for 15-20 minutes.  So at this point, the call knows more about it than I do.  But umma tell you what, boys.....!!!!!   There's a pile of dead longbeards in this thing just WAITING to be killed !!!

The bottom of the call lists the wood combination.

And is stamped with about as cool a stamp as any other call maker uses..........along with the date.

And the call maker's name and signature.

Did I happen to mention that this gentleman is also a member of the OG Forums ???
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Chris O

Mathews.1

I'm thinking Chris Brumfiel. He's been making some nice calls.

Yoder409

Quote from: Chris O on June 18, 2020, 09:32:41 PM
You tease lol !!!  Nice looking call

I won't make yinz wait TOO long...........  LOL !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Spring Creek Calls

That looks to be a long box, I'd say a fine young man from WA, Toby K

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Yoder409

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on June 19, 2020, 08:05:01 AM
That looks to be a long box, I'd say a fine young man from WA, Toby K

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WINNER !!!!

Our very own Packmule !!!    Toby Kock from the great state of Washington.

This man is talented, boys !!!!

I'll post a pic of the entire call bottom this evening when I get to my laptop.
PA elitist since 1979

sbbow

Sure looks good ! Waiting to hear the name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

Yoder409

Quote from: sbbow on June 19, 2020, 10:01:19 AM
Sure looks good ! Waiting to hear the name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the post right above yours.

Mike nailed it !!!
PA elitist since 1979

jmart241

paboxcall

If you're discriminating ear is that impressed, then I'm impressed! We have a new player, excellent news. Congrats on the call Yoder.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."