Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lets talk dedicated / favorite turkey gun?????

Started by ShootingABN!, June 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Obviously my favorite dedicated gun is the one I'm currently using.   It's been a 4 decade process of fine tuning.

I started with my (non-dedicated) 2 3/4" Winchester 1200 and a factory Winchester X-full Winchoke tube and Federal magnum #2 shot.

My first dedicated gun was a Remington 870 SP Turkey.  Used that one for a good many years.  Then got a Browning BPS 10 gauge and tricked that out. Nasty, NASTY at both ends and killed a TON of turkeys with that gun.  Got tired of the brutal beating, so I got a 3 1/2" Winchester Super X2.  GREAT gun !!!!  Again.......killed another ton of birds with it.  Decided to lose a little weight and got a 3 1/2" Super X3.  Great gun !!!  Monster at the patterning board.  But again.........decided to try something in a bit of a different direction.

Found a nice, little NEF Pardner 20 gauge and sent it off to Mr. William at SumToy Customs.  He stroked it wwith his magic wand and its been my dedicated gun ever since.  This gun is a JOY to carry and is pure BAD to all reasonable turkey killing distances.  I can't see us parting company any time soon.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

mtns2hunt

This has been a great thread with a lot of passion about everyones favorite Turkey gun. My go to gun for about 30 years was a BPS pump. It has had several changes and upgrades: it wears a scope, 22" barrel from a 26 inch has been repainted several times and has a patternmaster choke. Current paint job is a course stone type that is primarily black with white flexs and three layers of clear coat. I have retired this shotgun to Coyote hunting with #4 LB. Did I mention I killed my first slam with this gun?

As a dedicated muzelloader hunter I use a 50cal Thompson Center Prohunter. It performs so well thatr I decided to try out the 20g Turkey barrel. Did not shoot really great with the factory choke so tried an Indian Creek .555 with more than satisfactory results out to 50 yards which is farther than I shoot turkeys but to get an idea of its full potential shot to 70 yards. Target is awfull small at seventy but pattern will still kill. I have a leopold Ar scope on it that is illuminated. I reload #9, #6 and #4 TSS: patterns are awesome. I shoot the number #4 TSS though a PatternMaster mainly for Coyote.

While I have no plans to change my setup for the next 10 years I hope everyone will keep posting as I am always lookinf for new ideas.   
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

REBELYELL

b wilt

Fond of them all, and they all have their place,but would probably give the nod to the 12 gauge 870 Express Turkey with the Holosun, it is very easy to hunt with.

saltysenior

Beretta md. A301....3''mag...24'' barrel W/ Brierly choke.

Jmloch

I had a Mossberg 500a 12 gauge. 28" barrel. I hated it, I used it because that's what I had been given. I may put a vinyl kit on it.. last year I got an older Tristar viper 12 gauge with pistol grip and real tree camo from a pawn shop at a decent price. It's ultra light. It had a .665 choke I swapped it out to a .5** choke. I got two turkeys with it last year. I swapped back to the .6 choke for this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmloch

Quote from: idgobble on June 19, 2020, 11:52:06 AM
Single shot Stevens 12 ga. hammer type I've been using since 1957 although never started using it for turkeys until the '70s. Only good to about 25 yards but I haven't tried TSS in it.
That's old school as ever... reminds me of my pappaw. The only camo I ever knew him to wear was like what he has in the pic. He Only used it for turkey hunting that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knifeshark

Here's my guns, a 870 lw .410 full , a 870 20 in claro walnut 21 inch Remington turkey barrel, Carlsons .568, rifle sights, and a trigger job. Last is an Ithaca Turkey slayer in 12 kicks gt .665 , Sig Sauer Romeo 5 circle dot. Gonna use the Ithaca this year, it has taken many birds in the last 25 years. With the new circle dot should should be a toe tagger! Good luck to all! :z-guntootsmiley:

gunboy203

As was mentioned this has been a great posting..  Lots of great guns...  I have several that I have used over the years but really can't pick one over any other that I have used...