OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 - Nitro H510C - Star Dot/Kicks/Jellyhead Test

Started by Britton40, May 15, 2011, 05:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britton40

Shot a couple Nitro H510C 4x5x7s today out of Mossberg 835 24" barrel.

Kicks 675 Nitro 4x5x7 H510C

Star Dot Nitro 4x5x7 H510C

fountain

I shoot the 51013a..not sure if this is the same loads as you have here..and get good results too.  With a jh I got 302 last year and got 368 with a 698 Sumtoy.  The 368 was mean!..very even too!   These were 2010 loads.  This years loads didn't shoo as good, don't remember what I got..292 I think.  I have a 20"  bbl gun.  Does your gun eject them well.  Mine doesn't at all..but then again it didn't eject the hevi 13s well either.  Gotta get that seen about.

Try you a Sumtoy customs choke and I think you will be surprised.   I think Sumtoy posted on here today about a customer with the same set up shooting the same loads I am and blew ones head off!

Britton40

Gun ejects them fine.  Ive been getting about 250 with the same load in my Browning Silver with a JH 670 but its really tight.  Ive got a 675 Kicks I will eventually try in the Browning Silver to see if it evens out in the 10" circle.  

250 is ok with me for the 4x5x7s.  If you are getting around 300 with the 51013a 4x5x7 load, you have an awesome gun.  The 51013a loads have 2 oz where the H510c has 2.25 oz.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Why would you want to shoot the Nitros when the Hevi-13 #7 loads would probably do better for less? 

Britton40

I only had the Browning when I bought the Nitros.  The 510C load was recommended for the Browning so I bought them.  I haven't been disappointed.  I'm not really caught up in the 300 hit thing.  I did have one 300+ group with the Nitros, but it was with a freshly polished barrel and at 35 yards.  Ive been killing turkeys before this year with plain old Winchester 3 1/2" #5s.  They only put around 100 in a 10" circle.

I acquired the Mossberg to tinker with this year.  I will eventually try the 7s..

drenalinld

I'm about to try some Nitro straight 7's with 2-7/16 oz. Don't know what the results will be but there will be enough pellets to put up some numbers. Those patterns look pretty good. Very even. I bet the 20" count is good.

fountain

The 51013 load is a 2 1/4 oz load too.   I have shot a lot of these and the 517 loads..2 7/16 oz.. and always had the lighter load outperform the heavier.  I have only shot them in Mossberg 835 tho..through a lot of different chokes.  The 51013 load seems to do well..I can get high counts with them pretty consistently ..the are nice even patterns as well.  

Ililehevi..we done been through this once..nitros will generally outshout the hevi, but they are some good shooting loads too.  I shot my first this year playing with my 835s and got god results with a fairly open choke.  If i weren't going to tss, I may shoot them or either get nitros in straight 7s instead of the triplex, since they are mostly 7s anyways.  with the differences in loads from last year to this year with nitros, it really leans me towards the cheaper hevi 13 loads.  Yes, there were inconsistencies with hevi, but there were enough people shooting them on here to tell which lot was good and which was bad

SumToy

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 15, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
Why would you want to shoot the Nitros when the Hevi-13 #7 loads would probably do better for less? 
:agreed: 

now I think if you open your choke up you will see the number come up.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

fountain

yep..i think you also need a mppre open choke here..typically from what i have seen and shot..the 517 loads like a 695 +/-..generally more, and the 51013 likes a 690 range choke, but my gun liked the 698 with the 51013 loads well.  one gun does not eject them at all..have not tried them in the other..will do so soon, so yet another pattern comparison to come!  gonna shoot both my 20" bbls on the same frame to see if it is bbl or the bolt on that frame.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I just ask a question.  For about $8 a pop and those results is what I was getting at when you can do it for a little over $4 a pop with the Hevi-13.  The rest is up to you when you do the math.  There are plenty of chokes that will shoot the Hevi-13 loads or the Nitros well besides a Sumtoy.  Pure Gold and the Star Dot in at least most 835's that I have seen will rival the best.  A little more homework on his part is just needed is all.

SumToy

I think with the 2 chokes he has got he will see better patterns with HV-13.  Now if you want to shot nitros you need big choke what ever brand you want just go big.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Britton40

Quote from: fountain on May 16, 2011, 06:34:10 AM
The 51013 load is a 2 1/4 oz load too.

You are correct.  I was mistaken.

Britton40

Quote from: fountain on May 15, 2011, 07:11:17 PM
Mine doesn't at all..but then again it didn't eject the hevi 13s well either.  Gotta get that seen about.  

Your ejector piece is probably worn out.  Its the skinny little piece of metal on the backside of the action.  Mine looked worn,  so I had my gunsmith replace mine when I bought the gun.  

fountain

Brain just passing on info I have tested..I haven't shot the other chokes, just the ones mentioned .  Honestly I shoot nitros cause they bout the baddest load you can get and I can get them local and can't find any hevi around here and I was too impatient to order amdhonestly felt the nitros were a hotter load and that's what I wanted.   The hevi loads are good and i think I could get used to them.

Britton, just try a 690jh, rhino,  Sumtoy..something along those lines that offer an open choke.  

Brad, gimme a call some time and let's talk this choke stuff ...912-253-0291.  Let me try that star dot!

fountain

I hope its not worn that much, hasn't hardly been shot..turkey stuff only and not the much..more testing than anything.  That gun haonly killed 5 birds that I can call off at this time.  I gonna get it seen about real soon..thought it was the hot nitros, but after shooting the hevi 13 7s I am thinking its more than the nitros now