OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutter decoys

Started by bigbird, May 01, 2020, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I have a pair of Toms that like to frequent the fields on our farm. However I believe they've  had their butt kicked by a band of heathen jakes (8). Today do to the jakes stirring up everything I sat in a neutral area because I haven't been able to get down there during the week to see where they were roosting. It was changing when the jakes would show up and whoop em. So I put out a full strut DSD I have, my first time using it. They were back in their old spot and skirted the middle of the field staying in a low spot out of sight most of the way. When they got around by my setup (big stack of round bales) they caught me off guard , I had lost sight of them. One let out a gobble when they could see my Tom. Which was facing south and the group was north of me. Is this the primary reason why they just stood there gobbling and moving away with the group of hens and other Tom? Doe the strutter need to face the bird ? I'm new to decoys and stubborn field gobblers

1iagobblergetter

Gobblers usually go straight to the male decoy. I set mine facing me so the Gobbler is looking away from me and at the decoy. If they are shying away id ditch the strutter and go with a jake instead or if that don't work just a couple of hens.

RutnNStrutn

I have had excellent success in the early season with strutting dekes. I've hunted over Pretty Boy and B-Mobile, both with real Osceola fans. I've had numerous gobblers leave their hens and literally run hundreds of yards to their death. It didn't matter, in my experience, which way the strutter decoy was facing. The gobbler saw the fanned out tail, and ran to the deke.
I don't think the jake gang had anything to do with it. Some gobblers have had their butts kicked by dominant gobblers, and some by jake gangs. But I think that's what they would be scared of. Mr. Big or a jake gang. Normally a gobbler is scared of what whooped his butt, but not every male turkey.
What state are you hunting in? How far into your season is it? I usually put my strutter and jake decoys in the closet about mid-season.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

bigbird

Indiana. This is the second of 3 weekends

joey46

On private land we often use a Primos Jake Mobile with a real fan.  Often throw in the goofy looking Funky Chicken.  Last several years the approaching gobbler heads directly to Funky.  Set him closest to us.  No decoy works every time and we never use a male decoy on public land.  Good luck.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: bigbird on May 01, 2020, 08:46:25 PM
Indiana. This is the second of 3 weekends
Indiana only has 3 weekend hunts?

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

bigbird

Yes sir it's a 19 day season and always comes in on a Wednesday.