turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

JLH Striker question

Started by RiverRoost, May 01, 2020, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Just got a JLH fro wood and Honduran Rosewood striker that are absolute singers. What's the purpose of his weighted strikers?

BTH

I believe it serves 2 fold. Heavier top to the striker will tone the high end down a touch. It also helps with overall balance.
Phil 4:13

RiverRoost

Ok thanks. I imagine it probably feels really good having that weight up top as well. Are you saying it would make the call a little quieter, more in the non-rasp slate sounding category?

BTH

I am not speaking for JLH here as he can clarify his creation a lot better than I.

The weighted top on his purpleheart I have tones the high pitch of the striker sound down a touch. Keeps it lower pitch without so much ring to it. I asked JLH to make my PH striker a 1/2 weighted one. I love to hear my eardrum turn inside out when getting aggressive on a call. LOL
Phil 4:13

JLH

BTH is spot on!

Yes, the weight just calms those lighter woods down, and I've found it makes the call break over a little easier..
And the added fell benefit is nice as well.

outdoors

Dang only if I know I would of ask for a heavy top
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spitten and drummen

Just personal preference. Some like a little heavier striker. Im one of those guys. I dont really care for light strikers but I will use them. Like previously stated. Heavier takes the ring out of the front end slightly.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RiverRoost

Quote from: BTH on May 01, 2020, 03:30:33 PM
I love to hear my eardrum turn inside out when getting aggressive on a call. LOL

I can go along with you on this! I love when my crystal mistress seems to be singing just right and I can feel that pop in my eardrum. Dang it feels good in a weird kind of way

RiverRoost

So now I have to have a weighted one. I just got his Honduran rosewood and frogwood. I carry and David Halloran one piece hickory and bloodwood and a one piece macassar Ebony from Stucky. What would you get that's weighted after those strikers I carry?

Turkeytider

Quote from: RiverRoost on May 01, 2020, 07:38:14 PM
So now I have to have a weighted one. I just got his Honduran rosewood and frogwood. I carry and David Halloran one piece hickory and bloodwood and a one piece macassar Ebony from Stucky. What would you get that's weighted after those strikers I carry?

You might want to consider Jeff's weighted cedar. Cedar's a relatively soft wood and JMO nothing soft clucks and purrs as well as cedar. Harder woods yelp better IMO, but you can roll a cedar into a soft yelp.

Greg Massey

Agree with wanting the heavier strikers

Triple B

Get the heavy hickory,it's got the weight as well.
One of the best he makes,along with many others.

MikeStaten

Quote from: Triple B on May 07, 2020, 08:02:22 AM

For the longest time after reading all these reviews I thought "heavy hickory" was a different part of the tree from regular hickory, king of like heart pine.  Now I get it.  Thanks

Turkeytider

Quote from: Triple B on May 07, 2020, 08:02:22 AM

Hickory is a very popular striker wood for a very good reason. I think it was tied for second place in a recent survey. Dymondwood and snakewood for tied for first.

Triple B

His heavy hickory is hard to beat,but old
Froggy is giving it a hard push from behind.
Jeff makes so many good ones,you just
can't have too many.... Ask Buster. :z-winnersmiley: