OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Halloran Cedar/Purpleheart HELP

Started by sveltri, April 29, 2020, 03:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sveltri

I just received a new box call and I cannot play that thing to save my life.  I assumed that it arrived tuned and ready to go?  I'm sure I'm not providing enough info, please ask whatever ?'s may help.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stefan

AppalachianHollers

I have a Purple Heart/Spanish Cedar box from another maker. One side is higher pitched and sounds best with almost no pressure when added. The other is lower pitched and raspier, but needs a bit more pressure to sing.
If no combination of pressure or even paddle speed works on either rail, check to make sure the paddle is chalked, that the chalk isn't clodded up due to humidity (I assume while shipping), or that that there's not stupid amounts of excess chalk clodded onto the rails.
If none of that is the case, best thing might be to play with the screw a bit until it sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yelper

Can you post a picture of the box?
Don't start messing with the screw just yet. It should have came out of the box ready to go. David plays all of them before he ships them. Also get someone who plays a box a lot to give it a try. It should be ready to hunt unless something happen to it in shipping.

sveltri

btomlin

I wouldn't mess with the screw.

I would strip it of chalk lightly with a scotbrite and reapply very lightly.  I'd play it and continue to apply until you find that amount it likes. 

My 2 customs play almost on their own.  Took me a while to figure out that I was "trying too hard" coming from numerous production calls.

Good luck. 

sveltri

sveltri

paboxcall

She should be ready to go.

Start nice and slow. Cant the paddle slightly inward toward the center of the box, do not lift the paddle off the rail, and draw it away to about 50 degrees, then without lifting the paddle off the rail slide it back to center. Apply no pressure beyond keeping the paddle in contact with the rail.

You should hear two distinct sounds if you run it slow - the "kee" on the front end of the yelp, then the back end "yop" of the yelp.

Keeping the paddle on the rail, take it away again, super light pressure, and run it a bit faster this time, and the two notes will begin to blend together.

Keep the paddle canted inward, and do not lift the paddle up off the rail, just slide it back and forth to get the cadence right for a series of yelps.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

sveltri

btomlin - That may be the issue, all I've ever had were inexpensive production calls.  That in addition to my lack of experience with box calls, I usually just run mouth calls.  Thanks for the help!

sveltri

paboxcall

As others said - do not touch the screw, that should be tuned perfectly from Dave.

And by the way that is a stunning box. I love purpleheart and cedar. Congrats - and be patient. Running a call is like learning to play an instrument.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

paboxcall

vt35mag

Is this your first experience with a box call?
Do not mess with the screw, do not.  Wipe the chalk off with a paper towel, and reapply some fresh chalk. If its brand new it shouldn't need to be touched with any abrasive material yet, no matter how fine.
The lid should run across the rails with little to no pressure applied to the lid, mostly just the weight of itself. He puts a heavy lid on his calls.

vt35mag

Like paboxcall mentioned draw the lid back to 50 degrees or so, but push it closed with one finger in one smooth motion.  Practice that until you get it to yelp how it should, then transition to grasping the lid and running it as you traditionally would.

Sir-diealot

Most of these guys know more than I do but I normally chalk a larger area myself? Would that make any difference guys?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."