OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Referring to All Turkeys as “birds”

Started by Robasse, April 27, 2020, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TonyTurk

Hobbes

Quote from: guesswho on April 27, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
I've probably turkey hunted as long, or close to as long as your Gandpa, and see it no more disrespectful than shooting them in the face with a shotgun.

I think this sums it up.

I don't have the years your grandpa does, but I've got 30 years of respect built up.  I've seen plenty of stupid to wonder about, butcalling a bird a bird isn't one of them.

Paulmyr

Although I appreciate your turkey hunting heritage. I started hunting turkeys over 30 years ago. I had no mentors. The internet was barely in existence. The only decent read I could find in book stores was Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine. I learned from the school of hard knocks. Trial and error, usually error. I've logged far to many hours sneaking around the woods to be considered sane. I have a few friends from school that I introduced to turkey hunting but have grown apart over the years because of family and work. I stand alone with my own heritage. Your implication that I do not love and respect this animal because of the use of certain terminology considered taboo in your hunting culture is frankly offensive. I am no less a turkey hunter than you. I think I'll leave it at that.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

strum

When it gets to the point that we are trying to figure out if its right or wrong to call a bird a bird we may be nearing an era where folks wonder which bathroom to use. Oh crap.. we are there.

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on April 27, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
I've probably turkey hunted as long, or close to as long as your Gandpa, and see it no more disrespectful than shooting them in the face with a shotgun.

I hope no one respects me so much that they feel the need to shoot me in the face to express it.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: strum on April 27, 2020, 10:00:15 PM
When it gets to the point that we are trying to figure out if its right or wrong to call a bird a bird we may be nearing an era where folks wonder which bathroom to use. Oh crap.. we are there.

Bahahahaha!!! Post of the day!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Robasse

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 27, 2020, 09:45:35 PM
Although I appreciate your turkey hunting heritage. I started hunting turkeys over 30 years ago. I had no mentors. The internet was barely in existence. The only decent read I could find in book stores was Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine. I learned from the school of hard knocks. Trial and error, usually error. I've logged far to many hours sneaking around the woods to be considered sane. I have a few friends from school that I introduced to turkey hunting but have grown apart over the years because of family and work. I stand alone with my own heritage. Your implication that I do not love and respect this animal because of the use of certain terminology considered taboo in your hunting culture is frankly offensive. I am no less a turkey Hunter than you. I think I'll leave it at that.
I simply asked for opinions and I appreciate all of your opinions. I don't think the term should be used as loosely and most of you disagree. That's fine by me. I was just curious to see how other hunters felt about it. I think I have a pretty good idea now. I'm definitely in the minority and that's fine too. Thanks for your input. I hate it if I offended you with my opinions. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just adding some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

As a group that was just slightly before my time said,....
Buh, buh, buh bird bird bird, bird-bird's the word....  :)

catman529

I'm not sure why this is even a conversation, but I respect your views (OP) and here are mine.

I personally refer to gobblers as birds very often. I also call them gobblers, toms and longbeards. I don't see how any term can be viewed as respectful or disrespectful. It's just a word to describe the critter you're referring to.

In the sense of turkey flocks as a whole, I also call them birds sometimes. I don't refer to hens or Jakes as birds nearly as often, unless I'm unsure of what sex or age they are at the time.

My explanation for this, I don't have one. Any reason why I should or shouldn't call them one thing or another, I can't come up with one. A tom is a gobbler is a turkey is a bird. Call em whatever you want. Respect for the animal comes in the form of fair chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

roberthyman14

Well, they are birds after all.  We call alligators, gators. Sometimes lizard.  But when we shoot dove, we call them birds also.  Never really thought about asking their age.  But I will try to find out how they wanna be described. If I hear 3 birds in the morning gobbling on the limb, they remain birds unless I actually put my eyes on them to identify what they are, then they become big birds or little birds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dswmsn

As already said a "bird" in hunting terms in the South is a Bobwhite Quail. As also noted, I have heard the Wild Turkey Tom or Gobbler called "Thunder Chickens". I do not like the term, because it does not denote a term of endearment to me. I love these wary, proud & majestic sharp-eyed "birds". Call 'em what you want, but always treat them with the RESPECT they deserve. I always remember the 1st Wild Turkey I killed in 1992 & how beautiful he appeared walking through the pines. They look so beautiful to me when they are alive, but after they are dead & motionless they no longer seem so pretty. I think it may have been Ben Rogers Lee that said something to the effect that once he shoots one he wished he could bring it back to life again to hunt another day.

MK M GOBL

I'll call them birds, gobblers, toms, and longbeards but I don't call them chickens, always loathed the term.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 27, 2020, 01:50:28 PM
My opinion, and that's all it is, one guy's opinion, is that using the term bird is acceptable. What I've noticed by reading comments in many forums is that some guys are old school, and some guys are just what I call purists.
They seem to think that you have to hunt a certain way, or use certain terms, and expect that all turkey hunters should do as they do.
No blinds, no decoys, no crawling after a gobbler, no ambushing a gobbler, use certain terms, etc. Well, who's to say that their way is the right way? ???
I personally live by the motto, if it's legal and it makes you happy, go for it. And note that legal is different than ethical. That's a whole other can of worms.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
X2 and agree ...

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 27, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
I'll call them birds, gobblers, toms, and longbeards but I don't call them chickens, always loathed the term.

MK M GOBL
X2 on this one also... agree