Main Menu

Referring to All Turkeys as “birds”

Started by Robasse, April 27, 2020, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

Robasse

Quote from: Ol timer on April 27, 2020, 05:50:54 PM
Shirley you can't be serious.
If you're talking to me, yes I'm serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

With all due respect, I usually call them *@$#&%G Birds!  :angry9:  Because they're always giving me fit!   :funnyturkey:  I love and respect any game I pursue. They are what he are. JMHO
Happy Hunting
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Timmer

I use Tom or Jake when I need to relay their age or male gender, and hen when I need to identify a female.  However, they are birds, so if I'm just being general that is certainly a term I use. 

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Robasse

Quote from: Timmer on April 27, 2020, 06:10:05 PM
I use Tom or Jake when I need to relay their age or male gender, and hen when I need to identify a female.  However, they are birds, so if I'm just being general that is certainly a term I use.
That's the point I was making and my grandads point too. Many turkey hunters out there don't do that, as per my examples. I completely understand all turkeys are birds. That wasn't the point.

When a turkey hunter says I killed a bird this morning. It was the biggest bird on my place.

My grandpa would say that's mostly ignorance for a novice hunter and disrespect to turkeys from a seasoned hunter.

Why's it so hard to just identify whether it was a tom, a jake, bearded hen, crow or cowbird?

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Loyalist84

Quote from: Robasse on April 27, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: Timmer on April 27, 2020, 06:10:05 PM
That's the point I was making and my grandads point too. Many turkey hunters out there don't do that, as per my examples. I completely understand all turkeys are birds. That wasn't the point.

When a turkey hunter says I killed a bird this morning. It was the biggest bird on my place.

My grandpa would say that's mostly ignorance for a novice hunter and disrespect to turkeys from a seasoned hunter.

Why's it so hard to just identify whether it was a tom, a jake, bearded hen, crow or cowbird?

I would suggest that, as in many things, implicit meaning goes assumed outside of formal conversation. If I tell a friend that I went turkey hunting this morning and got a bird, one assumes that I got a bearded male turkey, since that's what's legal and common in my area. Details usually arrive through the course of the conversation re: jake v tom, beard length etc. A bearded hen is unusual enough to warrant mentioning it at the start of a discussion, and I have noticed that many hunters here look upon shooting jakes as something left for children and the infirm - therefore the implicit beginning of the conversation is that a Tom has been shot unless noted otherwise. I don't think it's being done because its too hard as you suggest, or out of bad manners, but a cultural difference and a casual tone of conversation regarding a hobby.

Many folks wouldn't differentiate between a buck or doe initially - "I got a deer" usually suffices and I certainly do not think that it insituates a disrespect towards the animal in that case, and a turkey, in my opinion, is no more deserving of respect than any other game animal - not to say that respect is not paid to a high degree in the first place.

I certainly would never stoop to calling it ignorance or disrespect, any more than a dedicated wingshooter may condemn ground-sluicing grouse when it's been the traditional method of take for a long period of time. At that point it's a No True Scotsman fallacy.

What we have here is the intersection of numerous turkey hunting subcultures that are in various stages of development. No doubt if you had a century of hunting turkeys in Canada, and the northern United States, you would see decorum similar to that of the southern States where they were in continued existence and had the chance to establish traditions and methods of take and sportsmanship for the same amount of time.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Well... they have feathers and fly so they are birds.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Turkeytider

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 27, 2020, 04:56:56 PM
because dinosaur was already taken?

Jim

LOL!! They do flat look primitive! No, IMO " bird " is not a derogatory term. Intent is what makes a word derogatory.

Robasse

Quote from: warrent423 on April 27, 2020, 07:32:50 PM
I come from a long line of old school Turkey Hunters. There are birds and then there are Turkeys. They are always referred to as "Turkeys" where I am from. Calling them birds is pretty much for the new age fags
Ok, so I was trying to be diplomatic, but what you said what how I feel along with the generations that taught me!  Thanks for making it clear and concise Warrent!

Loyalist84

Warrent, while I do appreciate your honesty I'm not sure how using a degrading term for someone's sexuality isn't meant to insult those of us who happen to hold different views on terminology?

Terry

This forum is going down hill quickly. The constant name calling and attacks are out of control.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DP42912

Quote from: warrent423 on April 27, 2020, 07:32:50 PM
I come from a long line of old school Turkey Hunters. There are birds and then there are Turkeys. They are always referred to as "Turkeys" where I am from. Calling them birds is pretty much for the new age fags
Lol

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy