turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Chalk

Started by Spyderman, April 16, 2020, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Long story short, I moved houses since last turkey season and I cannot find my box chalk. I'm trying to avoid a trip to Walmart. Is there any problem with using my kid's sidewalk chalk on my box calls?

doublespurs21

I believe there are not the same type of chalk....

silvestris

Sidewalk chalk should work ok.  You don't want any wax in the chalk combination.  It will really screw box up and cause you to use a lot of elbow time with a rag and rubbing alcohol to get the caller back in service.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Spyderman

How do you know if there's wax in the chalk?

paboxcall

Quote from: Spyderman on April 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
How do you know if there's wax in the chalk?

No way to know for sure, and risk trashing your box call. So just order this online:

http://www.rainchalk.com/products.html
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

WW

I've always been told by the call makers, to use railroad chalk

Sir-diealot

Do not use sidewalk chalk, it almost always has oils in it, this is what just about every maker told me when I asked this when I first got here. Railroad chalk, rain chalk, some carpenters chalk but I do not think all so I do not suggest any.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Spyderman on April 16, 2020, 11:04:00 AM
Long story short, I moved houses since last turkey season and I cannot find my box chalk. I'm trying to avoid a trip to Walmart. Is there any problem with using my kid's sidewalk chalk on my box calls?

Order some box call chalk from Springhill right here on OG. Not expensive and is quality.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

NCL

This is timely I need to find some chalk. I could not find any contact information on Springhill, could you provide a little more info? Thank you

StruttinGobbler3

Sidewalk chalk is not a good idea, most call makers have told me to avoid it due to oil or wax in the chalk that will ruin the box. You can order a half moon of blue carpenters chalk from David halloran for five bucks that will last you forever. Also, Irwin white railroad chalk from Amazon is a good option. Third, you can order chalk from markal that will suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Adirondacks89

You can get in on amazon, bass pro, cabelas, Halloran's website there all kinds of places online to buy it from just google box call chalk. Pay the extra money for expedited shipping that's the price of doing business if you're concerned about going to Walmart and you need it quickly.

Spitten and drummen

I actually found a large quantity of the red brick chalk thats extremely hard to find now on Ebay. Its the half moon blocks. I have enough to last many life times. One block would probably last a life time.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 16, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
I actually found a large quantity of the red brick chalk thats extremely hard to find now on Ebay. Its the half moon blocks. I have enough to last many life times. One block would probably last a life time.
You and me both .. best chalk ...red brick ...

vt35mag

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 16, 2020, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 16, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
You and me both .. best chalk ...red brick ...

I just got some too, best stuff for sure. 

longbeards

Chalk board chalk at Walmart works just fine!
I am a box call fan!