turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Knight & hale 100 turkey chest rig.

Started by turkeymanjim, April 12, 2020, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeymanjim

Thinking about getting one of these but wondering if anyone tryed one. I realized this is a new product but was just wondering if anyone had has one to let me no what they think of it. Is there enough room in it to carry what you need.
Thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I know you ask about one of these chest rigs , but have you looked at the satchel Glenda Green makes ?

turkeymanjim

No i haven't.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

GobbleNut

I believe HS Strut came up with this idea a couple of years ago, at least that is where I saw it first.  Not sure how they compare, but the HSS model is a bit cheaper than the K&H.  The original HSS model had magnetic catches that were not strong enough to keep the main compartment closed,...I added a button hook to mine to keep from losing stuff.

It appears that the magnet problem was noted and now the newer models have some kind of latch rather than the magnet.   Other than that, it is kind-of handy for keeping your essentials right in front of you, especially if you tend to use an assortment of call types when hunting. 

As for what is better, the chest pack or a satchel/purse, I think it would depend on how you hunt.  If you are a "prospecting" turkey hunter,...that is, you move around trying to strike a bird rather than sitting and waiting for one,...the chest pack is probably a better idea for you.  Perhaps not, but I have both and would never be comfortable carrying the satchel/purse while using the proactive hunting style I do. 

Greg Massey

I have no problem with moving fast and using the satchel .. you can snap a waist strap to the satchel.. turkey hunters have to think out of the box sometimes in preparing their equipment.

howl

Looks like they jumped the shark overbuilding that one. I'd look for something small to hang off a bino harness. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,34677.msg353765.html#msg353765

GobbleNut

Here are my general thoughts on vests and any of these accessories that are put out by these companies:

The biggest concern I have with any accessory for carrying my turkey "stuff" is whether that stuff will fall out of it in situations where gravity will come into play.  That is, if you are moving quickly, crawling, or moving in a prone position to improve your set-up, do you have to worry about your stuff falling out of the accessory.  The way I look at it, unless everything has a zipper or a full velcro closure on it, there is always the possibility that any other sort of closure short of those can result in lost items.  The secondary concerns I have are the bulk and noise factors.  I don't like to have to deal with flopping, noisy stuff when I am in "hurry up" or "slinking" mode. 

Quite honestly, for my type of hunting,...that is, most often covering lots of country in search of a responsive gobbler,...the best thing I have found to do is use a "daypack-type" backpack for the general stuff and wear cargo pants for the stuff I need to get to quickly.  Although I have an assortment of these other accessories and usually start off the season thinking I have found something better, usually by the middle of every season I am back to the daypack and cargo pants method. 

Tom007

They are all good, satchel bags, vests, pacs, etc.  It's all about your hunting style. If you do a lot of  sitting over decoys, blind hunting, the Glenda type satchel is fantastic. I saw her pack on line. It is very well thought out, built with great material and craftsmanship. The problem for me using that is I would fill it with too many calls. I hunt the mountainous big woods, I do sit when I have to for hours, so a comfortable seat is a must. I use a vest with minimal calls in it. Great for running gunning. I also use the Cabelas 1/2 vest later in the season when it gets warm. It is a speed seat with a waist type padded belt that carry's a few calls, shells and water bottle. The chest packs look interesting too, I would be worried about it getting in my way while sitting, and shooting. They do look good though if it fits your hunting style.
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on April 13, 2020, 07:16:45 AM
They are all good, satchel bags, vests, pacs, etc.  It's all about your hunting style. If you do a lot of  sitting over decoys, blind hunting, the Glenda type satchel is fantastic. I saw her pack on line. It is very well thought out, built with great material and craftsmanship. The problem for me using that is I would fill it with too many calls. I hunt the mountainous big woods, I do sit when I have to for hours, so a comfortable seat is a must. I use a vest with minimal calls in it. Great for running gunning. I also use the Cabelas 1/2 vest later in the season when it gets warm. It is a speed seat with a waist type padded belt that carry's a few calls, shells and water bottle. The chest packs look interesting too, I would be worried about it getting in my way while sitting, and shooting. They do look good though if it fits your hunting style.
She also makes a smaller satchel , and it's up to the person as to how many calls you carry, the satchel doesn't decided that for you.

Tom007

You are right Greg, you know what happens to me, "maybe I need just one more". I always over load, so lately I have tried to cut back. I do think her satchels are fantastic, I would not hesitate to try one.....
"Solo hunter"