OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluffmud

THP definitely should not showed the gate number for 200k hunters to see. If they did that where I hunt, I'd be upset. They could probably stand to be a little more careful and show less land marks too. However, they seem to behave and carry themselves respectfully towards other hunters, most of the time. I think that this whole fad will die out in about another decade. I video some of my hunts, but I sure don't put anything up on the internet in which people will recognize. I work hard for those spots! As for quitting the sport, I guess I just don't know how bad I have it. I never had the opportunity to have a WMA to myself growing up. It's always been "the public land race." You gotta work harder, spend more time, and get your rear end out the the spot FIRST. It can be frustrating at times, but dang if it doesn't feel good to be walking out of a crowded management area 7:07am on a Saturday carrying a bird that you roosted, and froze your tail off for in the predawn hours to make sure you had the spot. It's even more rewarding when you finally do find an unpressured area with lots of birds. If it doesn't excited me to the point where I am not willing to work hard for it, then I don't want to do it anymore.
Psalm 46:10

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Old Gobbler on April 11, 2020, 08:52:42 PM

Cyberscouters are like garbage bears

This is 100% accurate. People tend to be lazy and morally flexible

Howie g

Soooo , anyone want to buy these new Pinhoti underwear I just bought ?  There dipped in bottomland btw ????

Greg Massey

A lot of it is the new age of turkey hunting , back in the old days , we didn't have cell phones with these maps apps etc and we all didn't have a nice car or truck to drive , most of the time we buddy up to even to go hunting. Most everyone in the county you new and we didn't have all these no hunting signs , almost everyone would let you hunt. Now it's public and private ground. With this public ground youtube hunting it's drop pin on the map. It's the changing of the times, just like we mostly don't hunt like the old pioneers ..

sixbird

I was a little surprised to see THP show that gate number, and the dog thing, I thought I had missed something. That certainly was rude to both the dog and the owners of the dog.
For the most part I enjoy these shows and wouldn't have interest in following anybody else, youtube phenom or no. I figure if they've been in there, they've either killed already or at least stirred things up.
That said, I'd be aggravated as hell if somebody messed up my hunting, public or private!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

The ICING on the CAKE.

I was on facebook today, and a guy on a local turkey hunting page decided to tell the world that due to covid 19, his basecall season was cancelled and he for once had time to turkey hunt "which he had never done before".....I couldn't imagine being so bored, but anyway...he made a post about having birds to hunt and just not being able to kill one and was looking for help anyway he could get it. Multiple people sincerely replied "just watch youtube" "watch the pinhoti project or THP". I like the channels personally....but is this what its truly come to......?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Mountainburd

Once again, the monster of social media and youtube and "look at me" has reared its ugly head.  It's this simple:

1. Everyone wants to be the next youtube star, because I mean if you're not getting great pictures or self filming, what are you doing man?

2. "Keeping up with the Jones" comes into play.  Everyone does swing now and hunts multiple states right? If you don't your not a serious turkey hunter. (That's what were led to believe)

I'm not saying this is the case with everyone by any means.  Lot's of low key, discreet traveling turkey hunters are out there, and guys like me that are content hunting the home state and maybe some neighboring states. But lots are all about killing their next bird to post on Instagram, and will use any means necessary to do so.

EZ

I'm guessing there is monetary value in getting lots of YouTube followers which leads to sponsors??? I always wondered how these young guys, some with young families could take three months off of work to chase turkeys all over the country. Imagine the cost, let alone the time. I guess I'm a little jealous that I never thought of a way to do it, lol. Besides, I'm way too secretive because here in Pa. there's no stone left unturned so as it is.

LaLongbeard

Just on this thread there's guys that have actually had interactions with these hero's and it's not what they portray on YouTube. Saying you don't park next to people and doing it are two different things. Shooting bearded hens etc. I think if you saw what really goes on or what they really feel about other hunters beating them to their spot you'd have another opinion. You are watching the edited version of what they want you to see.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spurs Up

Quote from: Howie g on April 11, 2020, 10:47:48 PM
Soooo , anyone want to buy these new Pinhoti underwear I just bought ?  There dipped in bottomland btw ????

:TooFunny: That pretty much sums it all up.

Fullfan

Fellas it is not just turkey hunting, It is also Elk hunting.  The Born  and raised crew and their 5 state in 50 days of chasing elk on public land, has everyone thinking if they show up blow a cow call and bugle all day they will kill a bull.  Lots and lots of wanna be hunters in places where there was no one for 20 years.
Don't gobble at me...

arkrem870

I've hunted around all of the youtubers...... I can say this. They have about ruined some my favorite places in the world to hunt turkeys.  Pimping out a public resource for profit.......and on top of that's its sacred turkey hunting. Loose lips sink ships. Leave the cameras at home......play the game for yourself - not for profit. We've seen duck hunting all but ruined by social media......don't think for a second turkey hunting won't go the same way especially when these dudes are trying to make hunting public land trendy/cool. As if it wasnt crowded before.

simpzenith

People have been complaining about their public land woes for years. Guess YouTube is the new scapegoat now.

catman529

Quote from: simpzenith on April 12, 2020, 10:26:18 AM
People have been complaining about their public land woes for years. Guess YouTube is the new scapegoat now.
This is true.

I started filming when I started hunting and it's always been a hobby that I enjoy and I've been fortunate to be able to make a small business out of it. There's no big money in it. I've never said where I hunt in a video other than the state, and in recent years I've had to be increasingly more discreet about everything due to cyber scouters with loose lips. I also hunt private land and sometimes don't even say whether I'm hunting private or public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Massey

Quote from: simpzenith on April 12, 2020, 10:26:18 AM
Totally agree , Now lets see some video's without the cell phone apps and drop a pin ..