OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaytonWP

Quote from: camotoe on April 11, 2020, 05:27:07 PM
Yup -not good I've seen a 3 fold increase of trucks at a place I would stop hunting after I took a bird because it is a special place . Now it's overrun from the cool video projects . Ya only seeing what they want you to see . Anything to get that bird on video . Fuc the locals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They are not worried at all about what they do to the locals. I had a nice spot also, killed my first bird there and it was a spot I could take my 70 y/o father because the walk was not bad on one part of it. Three years ago I could go to that spot just about any time and a truck not be there. All it took was one topo picture from catman and there were trucks surrounding the spot all season last year. Don't even get me started about that last THP video where they stopped in front of a random house and yelled at a persons dog. I understand messing around with the guys but I really couldn't believe they didn't edit that BS out. How about have some respect for the people in the community your hunting. 

GobbleGitr

Couldn't agree more.  And the private land I am fortunate enough to hunt gets pressured hard...a race to get there first, and a lot less room to roam.  I have killed birds on public and private land and don't see 'public land' birds as a badge...the turkeys don't know the difference and get pressured on all land, unless someone is fortunate enough to truly have permission on property that is managed well for turkeys with little pressure. 

LaLongbeard

I don't know who to blame but I think the recruiting effort has accomplished its mission and needs to take a break. I think every moron in Mississippi with a shotgun and crow call was on the scene this morning.
     I was working a Gobbler this morning and he kept Gobbling after I'd quit calling and wishing he'd shut up. This moron was on a bluff 200 yards thru the woods and across a creek and I mean 200 foot up a bluff a turkey would have to have flown up , non stop crow calling. What was the intention? He was about as located  as he could get and walking toward me away from him. This guy has been watching too many YouTube videos. I've also noticed a lot of cars in the woods. Nothing like rolling up to a turkey spot in your Honda Civic.
       Ask anyone that hunted Alabama this year how it went? Ol Penhoti decides to let everyone know last year the woods were full of Jakes and how good 2020 would be. And a mental retard  could have figured out we're in Alabama he and the THP were at. They gave more than enough clues to the location. I think the guys that post stuff like, "I don't see how anyone could figure it out" are probably still using a flip phone and have dial up internet service lol. It ain't hard, they making it easy, and you better believe people are looking.
    Think about it. You've never killed a turkey you spent 300$ on THP,Penhoti t-shirts hats and stickers for your Toyota Camry  and have bought into the traveling turkey game. Your hero's are killing turkeys and with 5 min of your time you can find out exactly we're they are hunting. We're you going? 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

paboxcall

Sure, loose lips sink ships; giving away too much detail on location will not end well for locals or others who have traveled to those locations for many years. They should be way, way more cautious.

But I wouldn't pile a bunch of blame on these utube guys without first considering this year's added pressure likely guys not going to work everyday. Nothing better to do than try hunting turkeys, and go blow your new crow call all day.

Public ground likely getting hammered way harder this year due to the businesses shutting down.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

aclawrence

The pressure on my WMA is insane this year. I contribute most of it to everyone being off work but I think there is definitely more people in the woods than a few years ago.

Pluffmud

I've ran into more people on public land this season than I have in the past 5 years. I'm sure some of that is due to covid-19. I'm sure some of it is due to YouTube. I'm also certain that I'm not gonna let it get my panties in a wad, and I'm gonna do my best to kill birds. If anything, all of this pressure has helped me adapt and become a better turkey hunter. Believe that.
Psalm 46:10

Bearcat1997

Last time I checked, public land is exactly what the name suggests...land for all of the general public to lawfully use. It is just as much yours to hunt as it is mine or a 1st year hunter who drives a Toyota Camry (no matter where they are from). Guys like Catman, THP, etc. are great resources, in my opinion. Not everyone had a family full of hunters or grew up in the woods. These guys are providing great tips to people who want to try the sport but otherwise may not have the means. YouTube videos are free as long as you have access to an internet connection. If you have an issue with crowded public land, put yourself in the financial position to buy your own private ground where you and whoever you permit to hunt with you are the only people you have to worry about. If you already have private ground that suits your needs, stop complaining. Otherwise, do what every other hunter who has dealt with pressured public land has done for years...go into the deep spots, go find new public tracts to hunt, or knock on doors and gain permission on private ground. I live in one of the most sought after whitetail areas in the nation and guys still find private land to hunt even with the influx of guys from other areas. Greet your fellow hunters, especially newbies, with open arms.

g8rvet

Good points from many.  The full story lies somewhere in the middle. I too have seen a ton of pressure and I am sure not going to rag on THP as they show respect to other hunters, drive past where they intended to hunt if people are there, don't act like idiots when they kill one and most importantly, are not hunting butterball factories like so many other hunting shows do.  Any time you have a video camera and the internet there is danger of info getting out there.  I don't post kills on Facebook, but when I post here or on the duck site where I know a lot of folks, you dang sure can't tell where I am located.  It is a fine line between sharing the fun of turkey hunting and giving cyberscouters free info.  Err on the side of caution is my mantra, while still be welcoming to new hunters. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

silvestris

I have been hunting turkeys since 1973 and I think it is time to quit.  I blame Utube and all of the wannabe rock stars, the commercial actors and those who cater to them.  As the old man who so graciously got me started said, keep your mouth shut because there isn't enough room for everybody.  For those who can't find a quality hunt, repeat these words, "We have met the enemy, and it is us."
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Bearcat1997 on April 11, 2020, 07:46:21 PM
Last time I checked, public land is exactly what the name suggests...land for all of the general public to lawfully use. It is just as much yours to hunt as it is mine or a 1st year hunter who drives a Toyota Camry (no matter where they are from). Guys like Catman, THP, etc. are great resources, in my opinion. Not everyone had a family full of hunters or grew up in the woods. These guys are providing great tips to people who want to try the sport but otherwise may not have the means. YouTube videos are free as long as you have access to an internet connection. If you have an issue with crowded public land, put yourself in the financial position to buy your own private ground where you and whoever you permit to hunt with you are the only people you have to worry about. If you already have private ground that suits your needs, stop complaining. Otherwise, do what every other hunter who has dealt with pressured public land has done for years...go into the deep spots, go find new public tracts to hunt, or knock on doors and gain permission on private ground. I live in one of the most sought after whitetail areas in the  and guys still find private land to hunt even with the influx of guys from other areas. Greet your fellow hunters, especially newbies, with open arms.
What color Camry you running Bro? Lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: silvestris on April 11, 2020, 08:31:12 PM
I have been hunting turkeys since 1973 and I think it is time to quit.  I blame Utube and all of the wannabe rock stars, the commercial actors and those who cater to them.  As the old man who so graciously got me started said, keep your mouth shut because there isn't enough room for everybody.  For those who can't find a quality hunt, repeat these words, "We have met the enemy, and it is us."

I agree with you 100 percent. I have been turkey hunting since 1979 and I learned from hard bumps and nocks. When you ran across a turkey hunter in those days , 99 percent of the time it was an old man. You could roam public land for a week without seeing another hunter. As far as recruiting new hunters yada yada yada , we have plenty of them now and there is only so much land to hunt. Its not like deer hunting where you can be a 100 yards apart and still kill deer. It takes alot more land to chase a turkey without messing someone up or getting messed up.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

fallhnt

Ya again...it's public land not public knowledge. If a hunter is too lazy to put boots on the ground and earn it. Stay home

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Old Gobbler

Lazy cyberscouter types are without a doubt the single worst thing to plague hunting these days , they are so obnoxious I've seen the DEMAND area specifics , waterfowl hunting is thick with them

Name dropping specific areas is low brow , the only people doing it are totally clueless to the consequences , I've seen vast areas completely wiped out and trashed by waves of cyber scouters

The Internet is not the only place this occurs,  clueless "editors" continually "out" areas in publications for waterfowl too

Cyberscouters are like garbage bears

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on April 11, 2020, 08:52:42 PM
Lazy cyberscouter types are without a doubt the single worst thing to plague hunting these days , they are so obnoxious I've seen the DEMAND area specifics , waterfowl hunting is thick with them

Name dropping specific areas is low brow , the only people doing it are totally clueless to the consequences , I've seen vast areas completely wiped out and trashed by waves of cyber scouters

The Internet is not the only place this occurs,  clueless "editors" continually "out" areas in publications for waterfowl too

Cyberscouters are like garbage bears

I think there is room to scout online as far as studying topo maps and satellite photo's, but you need to put boots to the ground as well if you are able. I honestly wonder if many of these people that are dropping names of area's know what they are doing and planting false information in order to protect their spots in their minds.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wbpc

Yeah they all should be more careful in my opinion. THP kinda rubbed me wrong last year while hunting with my son in Wisconsin. We parked at a gate as we were the only vehicle there and walked in to listen. We got on a turkey only to have him shut up. We walked back to the truck and the long haired guys gold dodge is parked right beside my truck.  I hear them on their videos talking about not doing that to people. It's public land, but don't say it if you don't practice it. Sorry for the rant.