OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaytonWP

First I would like to say that I have no problem with people videoing hunts and posting them to YouTube. Honestly I find it almost necessary to recruit new hunters into the sport. Commercialized hunting has gotten so far away from the general public, I couldn't imagine being a new hunter and trying to decipher through all the needless bs that gets pushed in every episode. With that said, I believe there is a right and wrong way to do things. Some of these YouTube channels are posting way to much information about their locations. What's wrong with just saying what state your in and leaving it at that? The hunting public has gotten horrible about it. They constantly video needless scenes to almost purposely hint where they are. One recent video even showed the freaking gate number. Them along with others will also post pictures of topos of the actual spots for no other reason than to get paid by OnX. The closer they get back to their home area though the more candid they become. In their quest to recruit new hunters, if that's even what their mission is anymore, they are forgetting about the local guys that are already fighting the fight. They are forgetting about the working dads that only have weekends to try and get their kid on a bird or deer. They are forgetting about the locals that don't have the money or time to drive 2 hours away because their closest wma has been over run by internet scouters. I can't help but get irritated when I see things like this on their videos. To me Dave Owens is the about the only one that does it right. He doesn't video many needless scenes to show where he is, you see him in the woods and that's about it. I myself don't have any children and my off time from my job lets me drive all over my state to hunt. This doesn't really affect me right now but I'm sure it is affecting other people and in time will only get worse.

Kylongspur88

Agreed. I heard the hunting public describing an early season archery buck in Kentucky. With a few pictures they posted, online telecheck info and Google maps I can say with some confidence I found the exact field where it was shot.

g8rvet

It has been a problem ever since Al Gore invented the interwebs.  We had a bunch of duck hunting honey holes that produced all year-in our home state and other states we hunted.  We lied about where we killed them and swore any guests to secrecy.  We also did not overhunt them.  Along came forums and videos and Gargle Earth and all those secrets are gone forever. I posted up pictures of a great hunt with s very mixed bag and I used Paint to blur out the background.  You would not believe how many people got mad and/or ridiculed me on a Duck hunting forum I frequent.  One guy thanked me (I hunted next to him that day). 

We decided a long time ago that God does not punish one for lying about fishing holes or hunting spots.  At least I dang sure hope so.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

nativeks

Once upon a time I took a picture with a limit of ducks at a gate that is well known but the marsh was dry due to drought. Next morning I drove by to check and 7 trucks in that parking lot.

briton

Yea, it's getting ridiculous. All the YouTube videos have started a public land trend. It seems people  just want recognition/fame for killing tons of gobblers. Mainstream hunting had already made a mockery out of turkey hunting but this "new public land /YouTube recognition junkies craze" is just getting started and  will only get busier. With business incentives thru paid advertising on YT, it rewards the video heroes, and with YT now being more popular than TV, it's exposing way more people than the hunting shows on TV. Don't get me started about the Facebook junkies that are dying to post a pic of a bird before it's even done flopping, for recognition. I've gotten where I tell two people if I kill a bird, and that's just if they ask. My 2 cents worth

mcw3734

People should know there are ways to extract precise location information from your smartphone photos. I would highly suggest everybody disable your geotagging functionality, below is a link for how to do that for iPhones.

https://www.techbout.com/turn-off-geotagging-for-photos-iphone-ipad-8738/

Whenever I take friends to a honey hole hunting or fishing spot, besides being sworn to secrecy I make them turn off the geotagging. Many of us will take a bragging photo and send it around, so it's more to prevent that situation where a friend, of a friend, of a friend, happens to receive the picture electronically and can then pinpoint the location.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: nativeks on April 11, 2020, 12:13:01 PM
Once upon a time I took a picture with a limit of ducks at a gate that is well known but the marsh was dry due to drought. Next morning I drove by to check and 7 trucks in that parking lot.

This makes me happy

fallhnt

It's public land not public knowledge. I get so tired of the," not looking for your honey hole" threads and PM wanting help. Just get off your azz and go. That's what I have done over the years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

owlhoot

Quote from: fallhnt on April 11, 2020, 02:40:32 PM
It's public land not public knowledge. I get so tired of the," not looking for your honey hole" threads and PM wanting help. Just get off your azz and go. That's what I have done over the years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Agree with that. Just take me to your private land spots and leases and get it over with.

FL-Boss

What has always baffled me is when people talk about the importance of recruiting new hunters. Yet when those new hunters show up to their public land spot they hate it.  Never understood that..

No need to complain about the YouTube heroes. Even without them the public land nightmare will only get worse and worse every year. More people every year, less land each year to hunt. More people sharing a smaller space...it's that simple.  Turkey hunting in Florida public land is already more like a dove shoot from what I hear.

buzzardroost

And you have the THP nimrods that show the exact walk in road # they were hunting. This is terrible for local hunters.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: buzzardroost on April 11, 2020, 03:58:50 PM
And you have the THP nimrods that show the exact walk in road # they were hunting. This is terrible for local hunters.

I need to check that out. I like other guys doing the scouting for me. Im only kidding.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

silvestris

No good deed goes unpunished.  I am glad I am close to the happy hunting ground.  I don't how long I can stand any more of this rock star drivel.  They have ruined a once honorable sport.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

camotoe

Yup -not good I've seen a 3 fold increase of trucks at a place I would stop hunting after I took a bird because it is a special place . Now it's overrun from the cool video projects . Ya only seeing what they want you to see . Anything to get that bird on video . Fug the locals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

Quote from: briton on April 11, 2020, 12:17:35 PM
Yea, it's getting ridiculous. All the YouTube videos have started a public land trend. It seems people  just want recognition/fame for killing tons of gobblers. Mainstream hunting had already made a mockery out of turkey hunting but this "new public land /YouTube recognition junkies craze" is just getting started and  will only get busier. With business incentives thru paid advertising on YT, it rewards the video heroes, and with YT now being more popular than TV, it's exposing way more people than the hunting shows on TV. Don't get me started about the Facebook junkies that are dying to post a pic of a bird before it's even done flopping, for recognition. I've gotten where I tell two people if I kill a bird, and that's just if they ask. My 2 cents worth

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Well put and, in my opinion, a troubling trend. I'm sure some of it is well-intended as a means to help others—that's the way it's presented anyway— but some is likely ego-driven. I think a few want to be the hunting equivalent of the Duck Commander.