OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nebraska Report

Started by nebgoosehunter, April 10, 2020, 06:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoteduster

Very nice merriam's congrats

Cowboy

Gorgeous gobbler. Congrats.

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nebgoosehunter

Another report for you fellers.  Opening day of shotgun was today and I was able to get a buddy his first bird this morning. Showed up right at shooting light to try and hear some birds from the road and make a play. Had to drive a bit until we found some and made a move on them. Looked like a few gobblers, some jakes, and hens in the group from a distance. Snuck up a tree line and was getting ready to set up and saw a head peak out so we just sat where we were. Started calling and immediately 5 jakes sprinted right to us and were about 10 feet away. They eventually turned around and went back to the group. Had to move to try and get in front of them again and I was able to glass the whole flock from a distance and didn't see any longbeards. Maybe from a distance the first time I just saw jakes strutting but I thought for sure there were some gobblers out there. They eventually fed off so we made a play on some other birds nearby. The calling and decoys just was not working on this next group so we did an old fashioned spot and stalk and it surprisingly paid off. We both doubled and my buddy couldn't believe he had just shot a turkey. He kept saying that the whole drive home too. I think he is hooked for good now!

nebgoosehunter

I am officially tagged out!  Not much of a story today though.  I went to the same property my son got one off of this past Saturday.  Took awhile for the birds to gobble as I couldn't get them to respond to an owl or coyote call.  Moved in on them on the roost and realized they were probably roosting in the same tree as Saturday.  There was only one gobbler on the roost, but not sure how many hens he had.  I called quite a bit and he responded and I thought it sounded like he was coming my way but just as fast it seemed as if he was going away.  Needing to get back to work by 8:00, I made a play on them.  I snuck around the backside of the hill they were at the bottom of and came over a little crest.  I tried calling him over to me as he was less than 40 yards, but he was behind a little knob himself and I couldn't get a shot.  He wouldn't come and as soon as he got on the backside of that knob completely I snuck up the rest of the way and shot him at 20 yards.  He ended up having four hens with him, so I don't know if I would have been able to call him off or not.  He was a heck of a bird for a Merriam's in rugged terrain with a 9 1/2" beard and just under 1" spurs.  It truly was a gorgeous morning in some incredible terrain!  We as sportsmen/women are blessed to be able to do the things we get to do! 

cwb04

Absolutely gorgeous bird!  Congrats!