turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska Report

Started by nebgoosehunter, April 10, 2020, 06:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebgoosehunter

I am on the board in 2020! Long read here, but you guys know I like to tell my stories. I had seen some turkeys that piqued my interest two days in a row so I figured with the incoming weather I was going to try and hunt this morning before it got bad. I called from home to two different landowners and both lines were not working anymore. So I made a drive to knock on a door since that was the only option I had left. The lady who gave me permission was real nice and I stood plenty away from her door to respect her with the 6 foot space rule. Went by where I had seen those birds and they were no where to be found. I figured they had to be somewhat close so I went home without roosting them. I got there plenty early this morning and tried locating them with an owl call, then I tried coyote howling, and then I just used a box call and I didn't get one response. I was a bit worried so I took a drive down the road and did the same thing and located them. Problem was they were between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile from the property boundary where I had permission. I set up in the corner of the property and got pretty aggressive with my calling as I wasn't even sure they could hear me. About a half hour after sunrise I noticed a few going up into a corn field to feed, about 600 yards away. I got after the calling again, but with no response. They started to feed away from me so I stood up in the blind and glassed and noticed a bigger group further away pulling those others towards them. I did however see one single head in some tall grass coming my way. I couldn't tell what it was but I started getting excited. It came around a corner and saw my decoys and instantly went into strut and my heart started racing as I knew I had a chance now. It took him forever to come the last 135 yards but he put on a heck of a show. He only gobbled about four times but strutted the whole way. My heart was pounding so hard I thought he was going to hear me inside the blind! The benefit of him coming so slow though was I could get myself calmed down to get ready to shoot. He got to seven yards but he was on my left side out my first left window that was only down slightly. He started getting nervous and so did I, so I drew back and aimed through a small opening and let it fly. My arrow found the target and I was so relieved. I've never been happier and more excited to shoot a turkey in my life. This even beat out my first ever archery bird from last year just for the fact I was on my own, and I called him out of a far away flock, and he strutted the whole way in. It was an incredible morning that I'll never forget.

nativeks

USMC0331

Beautiful bird

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Great pic,...pretty bird.  Good for you!

Jroddc

squidd

Nice bird and great reflection on your perseverance!!

JeffC

Congrats, great picture and good story.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ManfromGreenSwamp

Nice bird!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

dirtnap

That is pretty damn sporty.  Nice hunt.

Nebraska will probably be real good this year without all the nonresidents hammering them.

tomstopper

Good job getting it done on a beautiful gobbler. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

owlhoot

joey46

ddturkeyhunter

Tom007

A real trophy with a bow........congrats
"Solo hunter"