turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What kind of binoculars do you carry?

Started by kytrkyhntr, April 09, 2020, 07:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I started using the Cabela's Intensity binoculars (8 x42) last duck season and was impressed.  The optics are comparable to my Steiners (which are far more expensive and not waterproof), and comparable to more pricey Nikons as well.  The warranty used to be good for these binoculars, but is currently only 90 days.

I find the 8 power a lot easier to use hold still, and focus (than 10 power or greater), and certainly more than adequate for spotting and accessing a turkey from a distance.  Were I deer hunting, I might choose different optics, but for bird hunting (duck, turkey, quail, and pheasant), I find these to be a great choice.

I would hate going turkey hunting without binoculars...  I have been able to spot turkeys, but also enjoy viewing many other varieties of wildlife.  I watched the fighting & "love-dance" of a couple Cooper's hawks, watched quail, observed a bobcat hunting (and successfully kill a squirrel), coyotes, observed behavior of turkeys at a distance, etc...

If I am going to make a move over any sort of open area in the woods, I carefully scan the area itself as well as the surrounding area (careful not to do any calling while crossing an open area).  Several times I caught sight of turkeys I would not have otherwise seen (and came up with "plan B").

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INTENSITY-BINOCULARS/2312955.uts?slotId=3
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Brwndg

Bought a pair of Steiner Wildlife Compact 8.5 x 26. Super lightweight, waterproof, fog proof, and very rugged. They have newer models now, but I still found a sight that was selling the old model
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Gobble!

Shoreguy

tomstopper

Leupold Rouge's. I think they are 8x42

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Jfowler82

Vortex diamondback . I will not go turkey hunting without binos ! Almost as important as my shotgun .

g8rvet

20 year old Nikon ProStaff 12x25 roof prism waterproof.  Very compact.  Optics still very clear.  Perfect for duck hunting and turkey hunting.  They stay in my vest.

I bought some Vortex last year for scouting for ducks in Canada and Mississippi. I carry those in the truck. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

I carry Steiner predators, the original not the newer cheaper version.

I do not carry them that often hunting turkeys most places, in Nebraska I always did.

richard black

I carry a 6x Nikon rangefinder. I find that they give me adequate magnification, the ability to range when needed, and small size.

LaLongbeard

Leupold Acadia 10x42 with a Vortex bono harness.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

TauntoHawk

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on April 09, 2020, 07:34:33 AM
Maven C.2 7x28s

Bout the only company that makes the size I was looking for. Dont need high power or low light capability for the way I use them. But I was surprised at how much light these let in and the optical quality.
I have a set of high end 8x42 but they are heavy, I just got mavens 7x28 for when my wife or kids go hunting and they are really nice for the $$ so nice I think when they aren't with me I will carry those for turkey instead to save weight

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Crghss

Leupold 10x42. Carry them for everything.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Kytomgetter

Nikon but I think I'll take my Vortex this year

Spurs Up

DUCKDIGGLER

Nikon Monarch HG 8X42s also in a Kuiu rig......I am in the absolutely necessary camp. Binoculars have been the key for me in killing more than a handful of old, silent gobblers sneaking in on me in the woods.  When I hunt out west I use Nikon Monarch HG 10X42s.  :camohat: