OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Eagles and turkeys

Started by aclawrence, April 13, 2020, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

I can't comment on how much destruction eagles can have on a turkey population, but I can testify to the fact that they will chase them and it appears try to catch them. 2 or 3 years ago I was working a mid day gobbler on a power line when a big bald eagle swooped down and tried to grab him. The gobbler kinda ducked and ran then flew into the nearby creek bottom. Looked like the gobbler flew up into a tree and the eagle flew back up real high and then dove back down towards the creek bottom. I then heard big heavy wing beats of 2 birds and it sounded like the chase continued on through the bottom. I never saw anymore of that gobbler (that I know of) but 10 minutes or so later I caught a glimpse of the eagle flying back up real high over the power line. I then watched him and he lit in a big ol pine just off the line. Seemed like a perfect spot for one to hunt and watch for prey from a long distance. Not sure if that gobbler was just a random attempt at a meal or that eagle routinely chased turkeys there. But, I have found a couple big piles of turkey feathers along the middle of that power line since then where it's obvious something had a turkey happy meal.

CAPTJJ

Amazingly, just as I was reading the last post I  heard a loud noise... red tailed hawk just slammed my DSD jake, then landed for a second looking confused. I had just called, too.

CAPTJJ

Also, remembered a turkey/eagle story from last Spring in south Florida. I was set up in an opening a big hen and what I think was her brood from last year: jennies and a couple jakes would roost nearby and land in the middle. Several of the smaller hens were out there when a bald eagle flew directly overhead... and kept on going. Thought for sure it was going to dive but guess it wasn't that hungry.

Number17

A buddy of mine was calling a longbeard across an open field a few years ago for a kid. A bald eagle swooped down and knuckle punched the gob to the ground and flew off. The gobbler stood up dazed and a few minutes later the eagle came back and landed on him.
They walked towards the birds and the eagle flew off. Gobbler stood up and the kid shot it.
Not exactly ideal, but that's the way it unfolded.

Another farmer told me every time the turkeys are out the eagles fly over and the turkeys are gone. HE says he's watched them pick a few poults off.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

MDSTRUTNRUT

Eagles built a nest on the corner of a field we turkey hunt on 3 years ago.  No noticable change in spring turkey activity over last 15 years not saying eagles havent plucked one but turkeys still there.   Strutting there everyday and often gobbler to eagle sqwawking. Now those eagles get loud when we turkey hunt anywhere near that nest.

jordanz7935

A few years back I was watching a flock before fly up and those birds all of a sudden went on high alert and then started to scramble. I was wondering wtf was going on and next thing I know a bald eagle came swooping down and tried to grab a hen but she was way too fast for him. He only tried that 1 time and soon disappeared over the next ridge. The turkeys calmed down and soon began heading to The woodline. I actually watched the gobbler fly up. We snuck in close the next morning and my hunter killed what turned out to be a beautiful gobber. I think eagles and hawks kill a lot more turkeys than given credit for... especially redtail hawks with poults. I'd  be willing to bet nesting hens are very susceptible to being prayed on by raptors as well. More hawks and eagles in my area than ever and I think they definitely play a role with our diminishing turkey population.