turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

polishing chrome lined barrels?

Started by chipper, February 12, 2011, 06:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

Has anyone ever polished the barrel of a SX3? I have heard it is o.k. and I've heard not but don't know for sure?

VAHUNTER

i'm pretty sure that Drum polished his .
Good things come to those who wait

vaturkey

I have thought about polishing the barrel on my SBE2 but I have heard from several different people that polishing a chrome lined barrel is not good. Any advice on this.

Thanks  VATURKEY :newmascot:
Vaturkey

drum817

I have polished the barrel of my Supernova twice in 4 years.....I DO NOT polish it every year and when I polish it I do not get very aggressive.  The chrome lining is very thin so be careful.  It did improve my patterns.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

knightrider

boyhowdy

no sweat, if you ruin it a new one will only run you $580, thats a small price to pay for those extra 20 pellets in the "10

TCKev

If I were to polish a chrome lined barrel this is how I would do it. I polish the braking system on fishing reels using simichrome polish. As everyone has said the chrome is just a lining so I wouldn't use an abrasive though I would use the proper size mop meaning a 12ga mop on a 12 and a 20 on 20 and apply the simichrome to the mop and start to polish always moving and checking that the polishing compound is fresh. Simichrome will smooth out the bore and shouldn't eat up the chrome, but leave a nice shiny bore.
Tight Groups
Kevin

vaturkey

Thanks for the advice folks ,but after giving it some more thought I think I will just not polish it since im already getting 217 hits @ 40 yds with hevi 13 2oz. # 6.

VATURKEY :newmascot:
Vaturkey

VAHUNTER

Quote from: TCKev on February 13, 2011, 10:05:25 AM
If I were to polish a chrome lined barrel this is how I would do it. I polish the braking system on fishing reels using simichrome polish. As everyone has said the chrome is just a lining so I wouldn't use an abrasive though I would use the proper size mop meaning a 12ga mop on a 12 and a 20 on 20 and apply the simichrome to the mop and start to polish always moving and checking that the polishing compound is fresh. Simichrome will smooth out the bore and shouldn't eat up the chrome, but leave a nice shiny bore.
if i was to polish a chrome line barrel i would use cotton patches instead of the scotch brite. i would use the J&B Bore Bright and Kroil but would skip the J&B bore cleaner. i would also cut the # of Passes down to around 50 or 60.
Good things come to those who wait

drum817

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 13, 2011, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: TCKev on February 13, 2011, 10:05:25 AM
if i was to polish a chrome line barrel i would use cotton patches instead of the scotch brite. i would use the J&B Bore Bright and Kroil but would skip the J&B bore cleaner. i would also cut the # of Passes down to around 50 or 60.

I used cotton patches on my Supernova as well.

R AJ

Quote from: vaturkey on February 13, 2011, 10:10:22 AM
Thanks for the advice folks ,but after giving it some more thought I think I will just not polish it since im already getting 217 hits @ 40 yds with hevi 13 2oz. # 6.

You are undoubtedly a wise person to catch a ride on something other than an ego trip. You have a way more than sufficient pattern. Way to go.

drum817

Quote from: RAJ on February 13, 2011, 03:23:31 PM

You are undoubtedly a wise person to catch a ride on something other than an ego trip. You have a way more than sufficient pattern. Way to go.

WOW....REALLY ?!?!?  Not gonna argue with ya...just wanting to be clear.  Are you saying that guys who polish their barrels and try to optimize their performance are on a "ego trip" ??  Granted there is not one thing wrong with VATURKEY's 217  pattern number....that just seems to be a mighty big judgement on your part....just sayin'

CASH

Quote from: drum817 on February 13, 2011, 05:32:52 PM

WOW....REALLY ?!?!?  Not gonna argue with ya...just wanting to be clear.  Are you saying that guys who polish their barrels and try to optimize their performance are on a "ego trip" ??  Granted there is not one thing wrong with VATURKEY's 217  pattern number....that just seems to be a mighty big judgement on your part....just sayin'

:TooFunny:  Calm down Tim!  How's it hangin' by the way?  Long time no talk.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

drum817

Quote from: CASH on February 13, 2011, 05:39:33 PM

I am calm LOL.....just trying to figure out if I need to check my ego or not  :cowboy:  Call me sometime and I'll tell ya about my rotten deer season...LOL

CASH

Quote from: drum817 on February 13, 2011, 05:42:20 PM
Quote from: CASH on February 13, 2011, 05:39:33 PM

I am calm LOL.....just trying to figure out if I need to check my ego or not  :cowboy:  Call me sometime and I'll tell ya about my rotten deer season...LOL

Ten fo
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.