turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke and shot combo for Browning Maxus

Started by Jay Longhauser, February 12, 2011, 06:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Longhauser

I did a search and havent found much, anyone done much patterning with the Browning Maxus ?  Looking for a spot to start. 

Thanks

Jay

allaboutshooting

Hey Jay,

I've have several regular readers who've bought or been given that gun and all of them are very happy with it both for waterfowl hunting and turkeys.

That gun, as I'm sure you know, has the Invector+ barrel but with a much longer forcing cone than the other Browning shotguns. That combination seems to be working quite well.

I was able to shoot that gun for about 2 hours at the SHOT Show in Orlando when it was first introduced.  At that time were were furnished with Winchester clays and waterfowl shells but no turkey loads.  I was also able to spend some time with the design engineer for the Maxus. He was very generous with his time and explanations of the design changes implemented in that gun.

Since then I've been able to put quite a few turkey loads through the Maxus. It comes easily to my shoulder and recoil is certainly manageable, even with those loads.

Everyone that I know is shooting Hevi-13 shells for turkeys, mostly 3" "Bronze" with #6 or #7 shot.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Jay, since that is a Invector Plus barrel and having owned a Browning Gold 3.5" gun myself I can tell you from what I have seen shooting the old Remington Hevi-Shot loads and lead loads at the time that a choke with a long parallel and a choke diameter of .675 will give you optimum patterns with those guns.  I was shooting a Comp-n-Choke at the time and it shot real well with those loads.  But there is as you may know a question about the safety of using this choke and the direction of the port cutouts that may cause concern of the structure design weakness shooting Hevi-Shot loads through them.  So I won't recommend buying that choke to others if they want to shoot Hevi-Shot.  But you pick the brand choke you like that will shoot the loads you want to shoot.  I can tell you that it is hard to beat the service of Pure Gold or Indian Creek chokes.  Both of these would be good starting points for they both are hard to beat when it comes to overall performance.  But stay around +/-.005 from the .675 and you should see great results from those choke diameters.  I would recommend you to shoot Hevi-13 #7 or 6's in either 3" or 3.5".  More times than not the 3.5" will give you the better numbers but that don't necessarily mean it will give you the better overall pattern.  You just have to try each to see.  

God luck.

BPShunter

I've had mine for 2 duck seasons and 1 turkey.  I absolutely love it.  No problems at all.  I shoot a Jellyhead choke with Nitro straight 7s.  It will smoke a bird out to 50+.  Good luck.

BPShunter

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Jay Longhauser

thanks for the help guys ill post up some numbers after I try a few combos out.  Its almost warm enough to pattern this week!

Jay

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jay Longhauser on February 12, 2011, 06:02:35 PM
I did a search and havent found much, anyone done much patterning with the Browning Maxus ?  Looking for a spot to start.  

Thanks

Jay

I should have added that Browning recommends a .640 choke for your gun and that I've had my best patterns with a .643 e.d. but in reality it all depends upon the "internal geometry" more than the exit diameter. Every designer has his own idea of what kind of "internals" work best, lines grooves, ports, etc. and they build those into their chokes. They also have an idea of what kind of exit diameter (constriction of the nominal bore) will work best with a variety of shells. The good news is that most will work quite well. Designers spend a lot of time at the range and tweak theirs to make them work. It then becomes largely a matter of price and preference. We now have a lot of choices and it seems everyone has a favorite.

I try to shoot them all. I see advantages and disadvantages to each of them. It may be price vs. performance or how well they shoot a variety of shells, for example. Not everyone can afford a $7.00 or $3.00 shell. Not everyone can afford a $70.00 turkey choke or even if they can, they may just not want to spend that much for one when a more moderately priced choke will deliver patterns that are just as effective.

The reality of the situation is that it's largely a matter of choice. All of the modern turkey chokes work very well. If they did not, they would not last long on the market. The older brands like CNC, Rhino, Briley, Kick's, Trulock, and others still sell many turkey chokes each and every year. Newer brands have their fans. They are all good. Modern shotshells make every choke look better than they did just a few years ago. Pick one and have fun in the turkey woods. They all work.

Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

pullit

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 13, 2011, 11:47:20 PM
Quote from: Jay Longhauser on February 12, 2011, 06:02:35 PM
I did a search and havent found much, anyone done much patterning with the Browning Maxus ?  Looking for a spot to start.  

Thanks

Jay

I should have added that Browning recommends a .640 choke for your gun and that I've had my best patterns with a .643 e.d. but in reality it all depends upon the "internal geometry" more than the exit diameter.

.640 Sound tight for a invector plus barrel, but hey if it works....

newturkeyoldwateferowler

I have a maxus Stalker 28 inch 3/1/2 inch magnum i got together last spring decided to turkey hunt helter skelter never checked pattern but. Gonna do some research this year. Bear of a waterfowl gun has amazing patterns with a full duck commander with shot from 4's to BBB's and T's hevi-shot. Amazing waterfowl gun that's for sure. but where gonna see whats crackalackin this turkey season I'm pumped. I have put 36 waterfowl a rabbit 3 pheasants and some pigeons with it. I love it hopefully coming soon 20 pound eastern tom