OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Save money when sighting in Optics

Started by Tom007, March 19, 2020, 06:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Thought I would post this to help those who use optics on their turkey guns. I used my site lite laser bore sighter to zero my two turkey guns that have optics. I also helped a friend who just put a Spur Red Dot on his Mossberg. Of the 3 gums I bore sighted, only one had to be adjusted down an inch. My 2 guns had the patterns dead center with no adjustments. We all know that these shells have gotten crazy expensive, thus the less shells we waste on paper, the better off we are. I also have a carded record on the POA of each scope in case I bump the scope during the season. Have a great time, be safe....
"Solo hunter"

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

Great was to do it or use cheap shells to get it where you want and shoot one turkey load at 40 yards to fine tune.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom007

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I use my older, outdated loads to check zero. The site lite bore sighted works great. One tip, because of the tight chokes we all use, slip the Arbour through the choke, screw the aluminum 12 gauge end with the o ring on, then screw the choke tube in. This allows bore sighting your exact choke tube. Thanks....
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

Good advice, the two shot zero with target loads works well also.

Shoot gun from a fixed position on a bench, put gun back on target and simply adjust the scope or dot over to the impact point!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 20, 2020, 01:16:47 PM
Good advice, the two shot zero with target loads works well also.

Shoot gun from a fixed position on a bench, put gun back on target and simply adjust the scope or dot over to the impact point!
X2...I have a bore sight,but usually just do this..Either way saves expensive shells.

bbcoach

Use dove loads at 12 yards to sight in POA/POI and 1 Turkey load at 40 to confirm.  Done.

wchadw

Quote from: bbcoach on March 21, 2020, 04:54:20 PM
Use dove loads at 12 yards to sight in and 1 Turkey load at 40 to confirm.  Done.
Yep. Heavy dove 9s at 10-15 until you are on. Once you are on try a turkey load at 30/35 and adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: wchadw on March 21, 2020, 04:55:49 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 21, 2020, 04:54:20 PM
Use dove loads at 12 yards to sight in and 1 Turkey load at 40 to confirm.  Done.
Yep. Heavy dove 9s at 10-15 until you are on. Once you are on try a turkey load at 30/35 and adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason for 12 yards (actually should be 12.5 yards) is because most turkey scopes or red dots are 1/2 inch at 50 yards per click.  This would equate to 1/8" adjustment at 12.5 yards. 

Tom007

"Solo hunter"