turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Callmaker venting!

Started by Jrkimbrough, March 17, 2020, 02:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I totally get makers doing away with list. I think if guys kept their mouths closed and didn't have ridiculous expectations it works great. It's a shame guys act like this and then that puts preasure on call makers. I have no problem waiting for calls.

The flip side is a person may never get a call in a wood they prefer. There's a few different woods that I really like and you possibly take away the ability to get exactly what you want. The wait also makes the call more special and appreciated IMO.

I can see why guys are doing away with them though. Some people just expect way to much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JeffC

I've made a few pot calls and this year tried making box calls, its not easy. I don't know how you call makers can make any money for the amount of time invested in these, If a person needs a call, run out to Wallyworld and buy 1, I truly cherish the calls I have bought from the great people on this form,  thank you all for what you do, you certainly don't do it for the money.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

J Lacey

I've had guys recently that looked at me like I had three heads because they want a box call a week before the season opens and I had to tell them Im completely out. Actually had a guy stand there with his hands out to his sides and said "are you a call maker or not ? ".  Had guys call in the last week upset cause Im out. I sold every box I had at unicoi.  I then rebuilt for Nashville and sold every box I had. Had a dozen or so on my list most of which are shipped. I hope I never walk into my shop again to 50 or 60 sticky notes on the wall. It's not fun at all. When I first started I somehow built a wait list before I even knew how to build a box. It was miserable. I've noticed others that did that with pots and boxes.  It eventually worked out and is such a relief. 
  Personally Im to the point I'd much rather do a comp or two, donate to a couple fundraisers and build for Unicoi and Nashville, posting any additional for sale calls at my own pace. To the guys that can handle those long list and pump em out my hats off to em. I can't do it and even if I did I wouldn't be putting out my best work each time.   Oh, and the guy upset on the phone this week because I'm out of boxes stood at my table in Nashville and BS'd for 30 minutes and never mentioned a box.

Guys best of luck this spring and be safe.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

mspaci

Ive been doing calls since 06, never advertised any & only sold a few on here from time to time, and a few locally ea year. No interest in a list or competing or anything like that. Kinda saw how it was gonna be with lists & such when this custom call thing started to get popular, so only build a few when Im in the mood. I build them for friends, birthdays, special occasions for gifts etc. Ive got plenty to do & dont need any pressure or guys pestering me. Yes, ive had guys on this forum contact me, order a call or calls & strikers then disappear or not respond to Pm. only a week or 2 later. Those will never get a call or striker from me. Those that do have em had alot of luck w them. Its a fun hobby, & I keep it that way. Most enjoyment I get is coming on the forum & conversing w everyone about calls. Mike

aclawrence

Just go ahead and call them out here so we can all point and make fun of them for getting their painters in a wad.  That sounds awful to deal with. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: camotoe on March 17, 2020, 06:15:36 PM
I guess he b one and done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He'd just be done if it were me.
I've been on guys lists for several years and just figure I'll get the call when or if I get it.
Some guys don't seem to realize every phone call a callmaker gets to see when they are going to get a call done just takes them away from making calls,family,etc.
These guys that are pushy or a pain should be thrown off the list.

longbeards

If they are not ready to turkey hunt without your calls I don't figure they will hurt the turkey population to much!!
Start you a no sell list, and remember those guys when the smoke clears and they want a call!!

TonyTurk

I don't understand how someone could put their name on a "waiting list" and then get upset because they have to.....wait.   It's called a waiting list for a reason. 

Gobbler2577

I must be lucky.  I've been working from a list for almost 2 years.  When I think I am about to get caught up I get swamped with orders.  Every once in a while a guy wants a call right now and when he learns there is a wait he will go elsewhere.  But I've never had a bad experience with someone wanting a call.  The pressure of a list can be overwhelming, but i really cant see any way around it if i am going to build calls.  With a full time job and a family and responsibilities at church some weeks there is no possible way to get in the shop.  I have to say that if it weren't for the people I get to meet I would not continue to make calls.  It's just work like anything else, but the blessing is the friends you make along the way.  I visit with folks weekly that I consider friends now that I never would have met otherwise.  My life is fuller and richer because of those guys.  You cant make much money building calls, but some things are far more precious than money.  I got this picture from a friend this morning thanking me for making the call that fooled this gobbler.  He was sincerely grateful and I feel like I helped him make a great memory.  You cant beat that in my opinion. 

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on March 18, 2020, 11:31:19 AM
I must be lucky.  I've been working from a list for almost 2 years.  When I think I am about to get caught up I get swamped with orders.  Every once in a while a guy wants a call right now and when he learns there is a wait he will go elsewhere.  But I've never had a bad experience with someone wanting a call.  The pressure of a list can be overwhelming, but i really cant see any way around it if i am going to build calls.  With a full time job and a family and responsibilities at church some weeks there is no possible way to get in the shop.  I have to say that if it weren't for the people I get to meet I would not continue to make calls.  It's just work like anything else, but the blessing is the friends you make along the way.  I visit with folks weekly that I consider friends now that I never would have met otherwise.  My life is fuller and richer because of those guys.  You cant make much money building calls, but some things are far more precious than money.  I got this picture from a friend this morning thanking me for making the call that fooled this gobbler.  He was sincerely grateful and I feel like I helped him make a great memory.  You cant beat that in my opinion. 

I am newer to the forum and had read a ton about how good Buster Halford's calls are. I decided to do some research and came across this post.

I have never met Larry. Contacted him on FB Messenger a couple times. That's when I learned of his waiting list that I wasn't aware of. Sounds like a list is a good thing. Business is good. However, then you see a post like this and realize what these guys go through to make things happen.

Working a full-time job and taking care of a family and still trying to maintain a business has to be a tough thing to do.  We all have our responsibilities. Many of us are busy. It's life now-of-days.

With that said, it is the sincerity in this post that makes it stand out from the rest. The honesty that is expressed and the compassion for people as friends, not just as customers. I already know that I will be supporting Larry in the future.  Not just because of his excellent call-making abilities, but for his values and what he stands for as a man. 

Every now and again you run across a truly good person. Thank you Larry for your post.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

2eagles

Get off the internet and finish the poor guys call already.

:TooFunny:

EZ

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on March 18, 2020, 11:31:19 AM

Very, very well said Gobbler2577. My sentiments exactly!!!

catman529

I'm not much of a call maker, but I do sell wingbone calls whenever I get around to making them. I get a lot of requests, but I've never taken waiting lists or preorders. When they're ready they're ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro