turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

new cane yelper help

Started by hotspur, March 16, 2020, 12:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I'm making another Jordan yelper for this season . I have a question, what can I put on cane joints to preserve color,  and prevent cracking

EZ

A pic would help. Are you thread wrapping the joints?

hotspur

I'm rapping joints with thread. I mean how can I preserve color of  the cane ist
It self  . piece of cane fades .

EZ

I always sand or scrape the outer hull off with a pocket knife. Then sand the cane with 150 then 220. Then you can stain it any color you want and spray with clear lacquer or just spray lacquer without staining. There's also "color fast" that you can get from "the Mud Hole" that you paint on the thread to keep it from fading. Best bet is to not let your call in the sun for periods of time.

hotspur

Thank you ez , does the finishing your talking about leave fumes ? I coated one I made years ago with polyurethane and it made the call taste like urethane. For months

EZ

It can. Use many light coats as opposed to a heavy coat. Let dry well between coats and shake the can well. Still no guarantee.
I think Eric Rice was putting a drop of mint extract inside his Wingbones to mask the taste/ smell, lol.

crow

I use CA glue (superglue) and haven't had any smell or taste residue with it.

The saltwater fishing pole websites and woodburning websites have some info on blocking UV rays to prevent fading. Nothing worked great.

Some of the Museums use Renaissance wax to slow down UV fading.

multiple coats of ca glue did help compared to just a couple coats,  I use Ren wax and keep them out of direct sun when you can

hotspur

Many thanks , I will post a pic when completed , happy hunting .