OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Grand Slam changes

Started by Old Timer, March 11, 2020, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

I have used Federal turkey ammo since 1979 it shot better through my 835 than any other brand. Im out so i tried their new offerings ( Grand Slam lead) through 3 different chokes. It flat out will not pattern. Now Im getting good results with Winchester which was in the past performed marginal. Its like Federal is doing their best to screw something up. Thanks for listening. Just my thoughts.

Bearcat1997

My father and I could not seem to get Grand Slam to pattern very well out of either of our shotguns either. However, the Federal 3rd Degree has patterned really well for me. I killed my last 2 turkeys with 3rd degree.

Missouri hunter

I was disappointed when they dropped my 3" 2oz 5s. But they are doing better than the double x in my setup. Went 98 hits in the 10" yesterday and 100% in a 30" circle, this was at 40yd. This was with my model 1300 with a pure gold .670, grand slam 3" 1 3/4oz #5.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Old Timer

I just sent Federal a email. Used 2 parallel chokes one being a factory .695 my tried and true. Also a Carlsons tube. Baffles me.

joey46

Comments like these seemed to begin when Federal started messing with the wads.  I'm playing with a new .410 and yesterday did a side by side comparison with Federal TSS #9 and Apex TSS Ninja #9 1/2 .  Apex slightly better but not enough for me to go out of my way going through the frustration of trying to find Apex.  Hope Federal doesn't try to "improve" them also.  Good enough is good enough.

Bowguy

Guys I'm a Winchester supremes guy. I've used em a long time. Prob over 30 years. We all know Winchester turned em off now.
We tried grand slams last year in some guns. They weren't mine and I can't recall restriction but I was impressed.
Yesterday I checked an ulti mag w em. I bought all about shootings JEBS choke. Think it is 655 restriction. To me that's scary tight but I was assured it was ok.
My buddy Jared uses a 640 in his browning. I tried it (the JEBS) 
First shot w a newly mounted scope at 10 yards was a pinch low w a target load. I brought it up. Next shot it shot like a giant slug hole dead center. The grand slams did same.
I finally backed up. To make a long story short, the pattern was actually slightly tighter than I'm used to. The pattern was dense, consistent. I was more than satisfied. Actually called a couple friends I was so pumped w em. I had walked in a ways n left my pattern board in the back of the farm for a future session so I don't have pics but I'll post some next time
The old fed mag shok we're good too but I think I like the grand slams even better.
I was shooting 3", 12ga, 5s btw.

Dtrkyman

Back in the day hevi shot has those roll crimped clear white hulls, they were fantastic, the 3 inch 1 5/8 oz load in 12ga patterned fantastic.

They went away from those and for the next handful of years it seemed it was a crap shoot getting decent rounds that didn't leak all the buffer out.

Other than moving to the 20ga that is another large reason I switched to hand loads, I know what I am getting with every shell, hand loading I measure each step and when finished all my loads are virtually Identical.

I have not personally shot any of the winchester longbeards but if I was shooting factory 12ga I would start there.   

the Ward

I wanted to try the 10 gauge grand slams just out of curiosity, but these reports don't sound good.

Greg Massey

Buffered pheasant loads shoot pretty good.

Old Timer

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 15, 2020, 12:30:39 PM
I was looking them over. The old strut shok did well. All the older stuff did well. It`s that rear deploying wad that does`t do well. Never had a problem with federal before that. Got the lb patterning well but just a little tighter than i want but i might run them.

perrytrails

Seen this over and over through the years. Ammo companies wouldn't make much money if you grabbed one box of 10 shells every 6 years for most hunters.

This forces you to pattern every few years with factory ammo. Buying several different loads to find what suits you.

$$$$$$$$$$

Winchester ammo has always been more consistent for me.

You find a load that patterns good, buy 5 or more boxes after season. You will be set for awhile.

shaman

I have shot Federal 12GA 3"  #4 2OZ lead loads since 1996.  I've been shooting them through a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke for a decade.

They got scarce about 5 years ago, so I bought several boxes. I went to look them up this year, and Federal has stopped making them.

I too grieve for the loss of my old load.  At current rates, I'll have several seasons before I have to go looking for a new one, but I guess that's the way it is in the world. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Bowguy

Quote from: Old Timer on March 15, 2020, 02:42:12 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 15, 2020, 12:30:39 PM
I was looking them over. The old strut shok did well. All the older stuff did well. It`s that rear deploying wad that does`t do well. Never had a problem with federal before that. Got the lb patterning well but just a little tighter than i want but i might run them.

As stated I tried the load in 3 dif guns and in 2 dif ga. It actually outperformed the Winchester supremes and believe me I don't say that lightly cause that was my load.
Had nothing to do w the wad causing issues in my limited testing but all were consistent and excellent

Spursnbeards22!

Grand Slam's with the flex wad which is the same wad used in the TSS seem to shoot well with the Jebs chokes. Shooting the TSS flex wads out of my Berettas and patterning the Grand Slam 5's this weekend to hopefully get a less expensive option. TSS at 30-35 yds is a bit overkill and shooting inside 25yds is not much room for error. Hopefully will have a decent report with the GS 3" 5's.

Bowguy

:hb2:
Quote from: Spursnbeards22! on February 02, 2023, 09:43:12 PM
Grand Slam's with the flex wad which is the same wad used in the TSS seem to shoot well with the Jebs chokes. Shooting the TSS flex wads out of my Berettas and patterning the Grand Slam 5's this weekend to hopefully get a less expensive option. TSS at 30-35 yds is a bit overkill and shooting inside 25yds is not much room for error. Hopefully will have a decent report with the GS 3" 5's.

Brother look at the older post in lead shooters section about the grand slams. I've got done pics posted. There's nothing wrong with them imo