OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS 8, 9 shot legal?

Started by Tom007, March 08, 2020, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Good morning. I am seeing and hearing that TSS number 8, and 9 are producing deadly patterns. I hunt NY, and NJ. Jersey only allows 7 1/2 shot and larger, and NY only allows number 8 and larger. I hope these states can get caught up with technology and realize the benefits and performance of this new shot. How does the forum feel, thoughts welcome...
"Solo hunter"

2eagles

Iowa smallest is now size 8. I have contacted DNR to check into making smaller tss legal. I can't believe a warden is going to actually check the shells in my gun to see what size shot I'm using. My best local store for ammo has lots of illegal shells on the shell. Until last year Magnum Blend was illegal in Iowa because it had size 7 and 7 1/2 was legal, but 7's weren't.

howl

The wardens carry calipers? 9 upside down is 6. That's what I write on the end of my handloads.

Sir-diealot

Don't count on in here in NY , the current dictator in the governors office does about everything he can get away against hunters.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 08, 2020, 12:59:19 PM
Don't count on in here in NY , the current dictator in the governors office does about everything he can get away against hunters.
King Cuomo, reelected 3 times. We are controlled by downstate. GOANY Is a good organization for firearm owners. As bad as it is we have to stay involved. I know many of you are,just putting this out there.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: howl on March 08, 2020, 11:53:21 AM
The wardens carry calipers? 9 upside down is 6. That's what I write on the end of my handloads.
:TooFunny:

Bowguy

NJ has researched it as well as smaller gauges. We will see what happens

GuideGun

Took Maine awhile, but they finally saw the light last fall.  The wording is really weird, and it only goes down to size 9.  Wish 10s were allowed for the .410s and 28s.
Matt

Borden811

Quote from: 2eagles on March 08, 2020, 11:30:58 AM
Iowa smallest is now size 8. I have contacted DNR to check into making smaller tss legal. I can't believe a warden is going to actually check the shells in my gun to see what size shot I'm using. My best local store for ammo has lots of illegal shells on the shell. Until last year Magnum Blend was illegal in Iowa because it had size 7 and 7 1/2 was legal, but 7's weren't.

7s are bigger than 7.5s, so I can't see why 7s were illegal. Unless the regs specifically prohibited #7 shot for some weird reason.
     PA shot restriction is nothing larger than #4 shot for turkey and small game, so anything under that is fair game.

Tom007

Great info team. Let's hope everything up to at least #9 gets approved. Keep the faith......
"Solo hunter"

2eagles

Quote from: Borden811 on March 08, 2020, 06:41:28 PM
Quote from: 2eagles on March 08, 2020, 11:30:58 AM

7s are bigger than 7.5s, so I can't see why 7s were illegal. Unless the regs specifically prohibited #7 shot for some weird reason.
     PA shot restriction is nothing larger than # shot for turkey and small game, so anything under that is fair game.
Iowa stated specifically what sizes were legal. Didn't include 7's.

lmbunch69

I'm waiting on Indiana to allow smaller than a 20 gauge and smaller than 7.5 shot. Until then I'll be shooting lead.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on March 08, 2020, 01:32:02 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 08, 2020, 12:59:19 PM
King Cuomo, reelected 3 times. We are controlled by downstate. GOANY Is a good organization for firearm owners. As bad as it is we have to stay involved. I know many of you are,just putting this out there.
I fully support secession from NYC When Brian Kolb was still a part of my district he tried to get it through. I understand it has come up one other time but it failed again. Now it has to wait a certain amount of time to be reintroduced, I hope it passes sometime soon. I have never heard of GOANY but I did belong to SCOPE  (Shooter Committee on Political Education) but have to renew.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dzsmith

Quote from: Tom007 on March 08, 2020, 09:10:52 AM
Good morning. I am seeing and hearing that TSS number 8, and 9 are producing deadly patterns. I hunt NY, and NJ. Jersey only allows 7 1/2 shot and larger, and NY only allows number 8 and larger. I hope these states can get caught up with technology and realize the benefits and performance of this new shot. How does the forum feel, thoughts welcome...
the states will catch up, one state already up there. give it some time. Im making a trip up that way in may. Guess ill shoot 7s just to cover myself while im up there. Ive never had to use a check station on a bird before nor do i know what yals wardens are like. I know many people who would shoot what they want and not care but im not chancing it.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

howl

NYC actually wanted to secede at one time. Enthusiasm sorta dwindled when everyone got involved a scuffle over the right to do so.