turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

More open choke

Started by Mnpublichunter, March 07, 2020, 07:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnpublichunter

Hi all. I shot through my remaining hevi-13s last year so decided to give TSS a try. Apex 12ga 3" 2 oz #9 out of an 11-87.

Although I got very high 40 yd counts out of an Indian creek 665, I got a better pattern (less holes) out of an Indian Creek 673. Both chokes, predictably, were extremely tight at closer ranges. I could easily cut the 40 yard 10" count by 1/4-1/2 and still be able to reliably kill a turkey beyond 40, while allowing wiggle room at closer ranges given the extreme starting shot count with these number 9s.

For those of you have tinkered, what constriction/brand would you recommend? Off the shelf would be nice as the season here is about a month away.

owlhoot

Try a straight full flush choke.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: owlhoot on March 07, 2020, 09:04:39 PM
Try a straight full flush choke.

The factory full or ex-full will probably be answer.

Tom007

Some of info I read suggest TSS likes a more open choke. Hope this helps. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

square

What do you think of the patternmaster classic chokes?

trkehunr93

I was surprised what Fed TSS 9's looked like thru a full choke in my mossberg 500. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

I was in the same boat a you. Didn't like how tight a .665 Indian Creek was shooting TSS #9s and opened it up to a .675 Indian Creek and am happy with the pattern now. I use the improved cylinder choke in my sons setup. Nice and open at 20 but lethal at 40 as well.