turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Over/Under options and setup

Started by scottprice, March 07, 2020, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottprice

I'm really contemplating an over/under instead of my original thought which was a pump or semi. How many of you guys use over/unders for turkey? What is your shell selection for each barrel? I will use a heavy 3 inch  load for long shots and a 2 3/4" load for the tight shots

Feel free to talk me out of the over/under idea if you think a pump or semi would be a better option

Tom007

Pricey, but fantastic gun. Browning Ultimate turkey. Custom right from the factory. Lengthened forcing cones, back bored, shoots lights out. The best thing is 2 choke options, as well as 2 load options. Gun does not kick as much. Advanced recoil system.. I put Nikon Spur red dot on it. I use Browning Full Strut 640 choke in upper barrel, Rob Roberts 660 in lower barrel. I shoot 3.5 inch Long beard Magnums #6 in upper barrel, 3.5 inch #5 Long beard magnums in lower. The upper barrel shoots just a bit high, I zero the lower barrel. It is not enough to worry about, they pattern real consistent. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

Bowguy

There are some real advantages to what you're getting at. Some already stated. The two chokes/patterns thing is certainly one.  The one warning I will give you is that many times you can't use the chokes you may want cause anything extended wouldn't allow another one similar next to it, least in the guns I've used.

Tom007

You are right. I had that problem with an over under I used to have. It was the Fabarms Ultimate turkey gun. Came out in late 90s. Good looking gun, camo with 20 inch tubes. The problem with it was the barrels were close together, making it difficult to install different extended chokes. The Browning eliminated the problem by allowing space for that. It seems like they tapered the barrels a bit to close gap in POA on both barrels. You can also have your long range choke in lower barrel, and a spreader choke on top for decoy set ups, 25 yard shots on in. Thanks....
"Solo hunter"

BandedSpur

I shoot a 12 ga Beretta 686 UL. The gun has 2.75" chambers and weighs 6 lbs. The open (top) barrel wears a flush lt mod choke and the tight (lower) barrel a ST .675 extended waterfowl choke. I shoot 1.25 oz hand loads of reclaimed TSS 9x8.5s in the open barrel and 1.625 of hand loaded virgin, stacked 9x8.5s in the tight barrel. The open barrel does 110/10 @ 40 while the top barrel does 280/10. I run a B-Square cantilever rib mount with an FF III. No way I would shoot TSS w/o an optic of some sort. I kill most of my turkeys with the open barrel since it is good to 40 yds, and the pattern is still very forgiving at 20. IMO, a stackbarrel is the ultimate turkey slayer.

Tom007

Great post. Love your setup. I agree, my Over-Under is also my go to. Another thing often over looked is that it loads and unloads quietly, great for those quiet tranquil pre dawn mornings when your waiting for the close-by limb-hanger to pitch down and wander your way.... be safe, good luck...
"Solo hunter"