turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New turkey gun: Options

Started by scottprice, March 05, 2020, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottprice

Hey guys I'm about to purchase a new shotgun that will be used for turkeys as well as close range predators. I have it narrowed down to a few options and would like some feedback since I have never owned a semi auto in the past. Trying to keep the purchase under $500. Feel free to recommend other guns if not on my list

-Tristar Viper G2
-Mossberg 930
-Mossberg SA-20 turkey
-Weatherby SA-459 turkey
-Weatherby SA-08
-Stoeger m3000/mk3
-Winchester SX 2,3 or 4

I have absolutely no problem buying a used gun. I'm also a bit torn between 12 and 20 gauge. I know for turkeys it would be a non-issue for me because all of my shots are under 35 yards or so. I just want to make sure I can flatten a coyote out to ~50 yards.... Also, while not a dealbreaker, I would like to be able to swap a pistol grip stock and a traditional stock. I will be using the pistol grip during turkey hunting and the regular stock for coyotes

Tom007

If you can find a NWTF  Winchester 1300 with the laminated stock used, that is an awesome gun. I picked them up for 300 dollars or a bit less. They are very well made, very sought after, and shoot lights out. They shoot 3 inch shells. Mount a Jebs Headhunter 650 choke, and you have a fantastic sub 500 dollar turkey gun. I will post a pick for you.
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

The mossberg sa-20 or the Winchester in 20 ga would be the two I would choose from.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jroddc

Tom007

Here is a look at the Winchester 1300s. Some are drilled and tapped for optics. They come with Laminated stocks, as well as camo and black composite stocks. The good shooting ones say Turkey on the barrel. Good luck, be safe....
"Solo hunter"

Eddie12

I have a Stoeger M3000 and really like it. The only issue I've had with it so far was the POI. I put a Vortex Venom red dot on it and all is good now. I also own a Mossberg 500 that shoots where I aim and shoots extremely well without a scope. lol I honestly think it's a toss up between all of those guns you listed.
Stoeger M3000

Cowboy

Didnt notice a Remington listed on your list?

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Old Timer

Don`t them Remingtons shoot around corners? :z-dizzy:

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

owlhoot

Quote from: Old Timer on March 07, 2020, 10:51:56 AM
Don`t them Remingtons shoot around corners? :z-dizzy:
Yep sure do, that's why i like em. Trees in the way no problem. Durn best turkey shooters there is ;D

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

870s and Mossberg 835s. The quintessential turkey guns. JMHO, of course!

Dermott

Scott, I just bought a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge on the recommendation of one of my brothers. He says it has light recoil, easy to carry & he has taken several gobblers with it. I didn't see it in your list.