OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-459 TURKEY XTRA GREEN 12 gauge

Started by RED NECK, March 04, 2020, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I shot and patterned the gun with a trs 25 and the .675 undertaker and #6 longbeards,devastating to 40 yards and even what we dont speak of,I tried the tss as well and was not impressed.

I am waiting on the .660 trulock to arrive and will test a shell of the tss #7 from it at distance,40 yards and the long beards but I am super happy with the lb #6's and the .675 undertaker setup.Gun is awesome handling to say the least and patterns very very well with lead out to farther distances than I will ever shoot a tom at.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

The trulock .660 arrived yesterday,screwed it in and am going to pattern 4 guns tomorrow. I am hoping that this choke was worth buying as the others don't overly impress me with tss #7 and I purchased this gun to shoot 3" tss from as I already had others to shoot lead but I really do like the gun and I am glad I bought it.I just don't want to buy more and more chokes chasing the dragon.

RED NECK

I am not buying more #7 tss for this gun,It shoots longbeard better with all 4 chokes I tested.I put the undertaker hd .675 back in and will hunt with #6 lb 3" and be more than happy.That is my first time buying 12 gauge tss shells and I don't see myself buying more.

RED NECK

I found the shell that I will be shooting through this gun going forward.Kent 3" tk7,.675 hd ported undertaker choke.40 yards

RED NECK

I ended my season today for a second straight season by tagging out on the last day.I shot him at 113 pm today at 16 yards.He was only 18.6 lbs,9" beard and 1" spurs.He had 3 missing tail feathers and looked like he has been fighting a lot.We took two toms from this property as there was 13 toms,8 jakes and 8 hens.It was a great last week to the season watching all 13 toms together running around fighting and chasing each other on numerous mornings.I shot him with a 3" kent tk7 through the .675 hd undertaker choke.These shells pattern extremely well out to extreme ranges that I would never consider shooting a bird at,I was shocked actually.

Tom007

Great job, congrats on a great season......
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

I just purchased this same gun for my father about 20 minutes ago for half of what I paid for mine. I am meeting up with the guy this Friday to pick it up, comes with both pistons,stock turkey choke,stock rail and a jellyhead choke,handful of shells through it. It took a phone call and that's it to convince him he needs another gun!. :drool:

RED NECK

The triggers on my 12 gauge and 20 gauge are fine,no issues,normal for a shotgun trigger.

My father brought his new sa 459 12 gauge that I located for him today to pattern, so the gun patterns 3" Long beard #6's with the jellyhead max outstanding at 40 yards, and maybe a little further. however, this is now the worst trigger I have ever felt, It beats my winchester sxp longbeard 20 gauge I purchased a few years ago. It is horrible, he is dropping it off to have it worked this week, will have it back in a few days. As for the pattern, I was impressed, I shot the gun once at 40 yards and the trigger sucks,but I killed the turkey because I destroyed the target.

I am going to set this gun up for him to shoot a red dot,the fiber optics that the guy left on it look like they are the size of beach balls and my dad isn't totally blind yet. Those fiber optics are for brail guys.

RED NECK

I had the gun back in 2.5 days, trigger was polished and set at 3.8 lbs, the new gunsmith I found through work, he was a part time worker for same company in the next small town north of mine, is the best I have ever dealt with. His work is top end, his prices are more than fair and his time frame is ,well oustanding, I think 4 days was the longest he has had one of our firearms. My father also had him add another hole to receiver so he could mount an ace in the hole picatinny rail with peep sight already installed as It was one he had at home. It is outstanding on the gun.

He said the machining was rough on the trigger, and a little heavy, it was gritty and heavy, its smooth and crisp now. 110% difference,night and day.