turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who will work a barrel for me? UPDATED!

Started by dzsmith, March 03, 2020, 07:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

I have a barrel.... I want cut, rethreaded, and forcing cone lengthened. Several people I have talked to will not take a barrel until after turkey season...and I cant say I blame them. This is a backup gun barrel, I really want to have a back up gun with me when I go to the northeast this may. Its not a big deal if I don't get it done, just looking for somebody that may be interested in doing the work. Most of your big names are backed up so im looking for some possiblites besides sumtoy , rob Roberts, black river, etc....

(update) so after much back and forth and contemplating on just waiting until after season to send my backup barrel off I bit the bullet and sent it to mike orlen early last week. I got the barrel back today! Talk about fast!!!! Work is clean, looks like a good job he did exactly what I asked. The guy was not very talkative to say the least, but the end result was what I was looking for. I haven't payed him yet....he didn't send me an invoice or anything. No idea if he deals in paypal or not. I left him a voicemail to see how he wants to be payed.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

doublegunbum

I have used Mike Orlen in the past. Did a great job, fast turn around and very reasonable prices. He has a great reputation on several shotgunning forums as well. Good luck????

dzsmith

thank you for the reply. like I said. if I cant get it done, im cool waiting. I would just really like to have my backup gun ready by may if possible.

LaLongbeard

The big name guys are backed up for a reason, if you can find someone to do the work now I'd be concerned about the quality of the work. No doubt there are part time or low volume gunsmiths out there that could do a good job, but for everyone of them there's 10 hacks that will screw up your gun.
     There are only so many breakable parts on a quality made shotgun especially if your main gun is a pump. It's all the added and imo unneeded add ons that usually break. Other than losing a retaining pin while cleaning or breaking a trigger I think you'll be fine unless you run over your gun with the truck. I'm using the same 870 Wingmaster I've had since I was 11 and nothing has ever broke or needing replacement and the gun was about 25 years old when I got it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

chrmayo

-MAYO-

dixiemagnum80

I too have used Mike Orlen. He did me a great job and was very fast. I wanted choke tube threads installed and had my barrel back in less than 2 weeks. He's kind of "old school". I sent him my barrel with a note of what I wanted done and a postal money order based on his price sheet. Less than 2 weeks later my barrel came back ready to go.

dzsmith

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 05, 2020, 08:18:22 AM
The big name guys are backed up for a reason, if you can find someone to do the work now I'd be concerned about the quality of the work. No doubt there are part time or low volume gunsmiths out there that could do a good job, but for everyone of them there's 10 hacks that will screw up your gun.
     There are only so many breakable parts on a quality made shotgun especially if your main gun is a pump. It's all the added and imo unneeded add ons that usually break. Other than losing a retaining pin while cleaning or breaking a trigger I think you'll be fine unless you run over your gun with the truck. I'm using the same 870 Wingmaster I've had since I was 11 and nothing has ever broke or needing replacement and the gun was about 25 years old when I got it.
I totally agree, that's why I'm asking. But yes the main guys known for doing this kind of work are backed up. I actually have a local smith who can do it , but the last work I had him do years ago was drill and tap my receiver for a 336 mount. The holes are not even straight..... because he did it by hand. Why I don't know .... because he has the equipment. He can't stay off the bottle long enough, Shame because he's a talented machinist I used to work with in the real world..... so I just don't trust him to do it for me . Luckily I had no issues once the sight was mounted , didn't run out of windage or anything. But had he been off any worse it's possible I could have .

dzsmith

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 05, 2020, 08:18:22 AM
and you're right.... there's really nothing to break on my main gun.... but I'm kinda cursed when it comes to stuff like this so ... I try to be prepared. Like I said, I can wait , just simply testing the waters , I literally have the gun built with the exception of the barrel work. I would have started the project after season but I can across a excellent deal on a bare 870 receiver that I couldn't pass up. Already had all the other parts I needed/ bought so I figured why not start it

obro

dzsmith

mbarnes122578

I just used Mike Orlen last month to cut and thread a single shot 20 gauge for me.  No complaint, had the barrel back in less than 2 weeks.  About half the price of what I was expecting and gun shoots much better now with a choke tube.