OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 1100 with Federal Heavyweight

Started by Cowboy, March 03, 2020, 05:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Ok guys. My brother gave me some Federal Heavyweight #7 to try in our Grandpa's old Remington 1100 I inherited. It has a fixed choke. No screw ins. I think it's a full. I will have to double check that. I'm not familiar with these shells. Are they Tungsten? Are they safe to use in the 1100?  :fud:

Ihuntoldschool

If it's FULL, you have a real good chance of bulging your barrel with shot material that hard.  If it's choked MOD or anything less than full you MIGHT be okay.
Personally, I shoot lead in those older fixed choke guns.    You could always call Remington and ask.

Cowboy

I'm in agreement with you on that. Exactly what my concern was. Thanks

Brwndg

You will need to make sure your gun can shoot the Federal HWT 7s your brother gave you.  I thought the main difference between the 1100 & 11-87 was the 11-87 can shoot 2 3/4" AND 3" shells. The 1100 only shoots 2 3/4" shells.

The Federal HWT shells are tungsten 15g/cc density. TSS is 18g/cc; lead is 11g/cc.
I know they come in 2 3/4" and 3" sizes.
Most folks shoot the 3" for turkey.

Fixed choke guns will have the choke stamped on the barrel near the receiver.
If you are worried about shooting The tungsten out of the old gun, I have heard some great things about the Winchester Long Beard shells.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

gtrjames

Some 1100 were 3 magnum capable....it would be stamped on the receiver

Cowboy

Yeah mine is a 2 3/4 only. Been using the Winchester longbeard XR #6 for past few years. Great results on paper and in the woods. I really wasnt wanting to change but was curious on the Heavyweights because I'm not familiar with them. I appreciate all you guys chiming in on this.

bbcoach

I killed my first bird with a 1100, 2 3/4" lead 1 1/2 oz. #4's at 30 yards.  I had an extra full screw in turkey choke in it.  Rolled him up.  I would try and find some lead 4's or 5's and shoot a few at 30 yards to see how your gun patterns.  Get some butcher paper or paint paper 30" by 30" and see how many pellets end up in a 10" circle.  Don't give up on using Grandpa's gun to kill a bird yet.  Keep us posted.

gtrjames

I've killed many turkeys and would wager that 95% of them could have been taken easily with a 2 3/4 load of # 6  shot thru a plain old full choke 1100.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 03, 2020, 07:29:19 AM
If it's FULL, you have a real good chance of bulging your barrel with shot material that hard.  If it's choked MOD or anything less than full you MIGHT be okay.
Personally, I shoot lead in those older fixed choke guns.    You could always call Remington and ask.
A lead full choke model 1100 is going to be just fine shooting #7 heavyweights.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Brwndg

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

THattaway

I killed a limit of 3 toms with an old 30" full 2 3/4" Rem 1100 last season using Federal Heavyweight #7s. Got a very nice even pattern with around 80 in 10" at 40 yards. First tom was at 40 yards and simply tipped over at the shot as if stone dead. Would not hesitate to use that gun and load again. Thought I'd already told everyone here about it already and won't miss an opportunity to do so again. LOL!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24Dw2eB]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/24E6U6k]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eceL72]
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Cowboy

Nice 1100 THattaway. Appreciate all the info guys!

Brwndg

Cowboy

Sorry guys. It's a 12 gauge. Thought I put that in original post.