OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old school 11-87

Started by gtrjames, March 02, 2020, 02:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrjames

Parkerized 11-87 built January 1988. 26 inch barrel. In 1989 they switched to the rust friendly matte finish. I always wanted one of these. Oughta make a good turkey gun.

albrubacker

Great find!! Looks like its in great condition.
:newmascot:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

longislandloco

Nice! I'd leave it as is, not many around in that condition! Happy shootin!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

gtrjames

It had been in storage for a long time...I don't think it had been fired more than a couple times. I tried it out yesterday and it patterned everything really well.

Brwndg

I've got the same gun I bought new in 1988 for something ridiculous like $275. Mines a 12 gauge. Did they make it in 20 ga?
Found a used 21" rifle sighted smooth bore for $50 a year after I bought it. That's what I use for turkey before I got an 11-87 Compact 20 gauge.
Just realized it's the gun in my avatar. Used to have a cloth camo cover on it.
They are great guns.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

gtrjames

These also had a chrome lined barrel.

randy6471

Congrats on a great find!!

I have one just like it that I purchased new in 1988. Over the years I've carried it many, many miles and killed a whole bunch of turkeys with it.

They are a solid gun, based on the model 1100 and they were first introduced in 1987...hence the 11-87.

The only problem that I've ever had with mine, was a few years back, where it randomly wouldn't eject a spent case completely and would then cause a jam. A friend, who shoots alot of trap, told me it's a common problem with the gun and suggested that I replace the magazine O-ring. I did and problem solved!!

Enjoy!

MK M GOBL

I have one too, bought it used from work at the time and decided on building a dedicated turkey gun back in  1995. I had a gunsmith team in house and talked to the shop boss and what I wanted to do. Turned out to be a great deal, shop did all the work for free and I promoted them/ services they did at my "Turkey University" Seminars.

My gun looked like what you have now, Walnut and Parkerized, mine was a 26"bbl. It has evolved in to what I carry now and wouldn't recognize it from what it was. My gun has a story to it!

MK M GOBL

Cowboy

Really nice gun. Great find.

SOCOM304

Great to see your gun, what a unique find. My brother has the exact same 11-87, from the earliest production. Those older Remington's were built way better than the guns we see nowadays. I wish you well this spring and many more to follow.

vtstrutter

Great gun. I've got the same one. My father bought it for me when I was a kid. I've killed more deer rabbits and patridge with that gun. Shot a few Turkeys with it. Last year I decided to put a camo skin on it and bought a jebs choke for it. I found the bead on the barrel is not that accurate so I put a burris FF2 on it.

1iagobblergetter

I had one from the early 90's with a light contour barrel and I ended up trading it off. Wish I still had it.