turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

el cheapo VS turkey load POA/POI

Started by sswv, April 08, 2020, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

my question is (and I'm sure it's been ask many times already) how much difference should 'IF ANY' there be between the low brass ammo compared to the turkey loads as far as POA/POI is concerned?  all my turkey guns are 870's and have the 21" barrels and I'm planning on sighting in at 20 yards to start out.  I'm asking because I'm thinking about putting low profile rear adjustable sights on my shotguns and I'm just curious if anyone has any real time experience with this.

thanks in advance

BINK McCARTY

It's always served me best to finish up sighting in with the exact ammo you will hunt with.

dirt road ninja

I see no difference, but it gives me piece of mind to run a turkey load down the tube to confirm. Now if it's on a gun/choke/load that you already know and you're just swapping or adding optics no need to waste a shell. Zero with the low brass and go.

Turkeytider

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 09, 2020, 03:20:46 AM
It's always served me best to finish up sighting in with the exact ammo you will hunt with.

Yes sir. Always good to send a round or two of your hunting load to the target after you`ve sighted  in with your " common " field shells. Just to be sure!

sswv

thanks all. I figured as much. these guns are well used and the ammo/choke combinations are tried and true. getting older that very small silver mid bead is getting a bit harder to lock in on as quick so I'm thinking newer, brighter sights might be in order. I have a couple sets of very low profile fully adjustable rear sights that I'm gonna try.

again, thanks all for the input

Turkeytider

Quote from: sswv on April 09, 2020, 08:23:27 AM
thanks all. I figured as much. these guns are well used and the ammo/choke combinations are tried and true. getting older that very small silver mid bead is getting a bit harder to lock in on as quick so I'm thinking newer, brighter sights might be in order. I have a couple sets of very low profile fully adjustable rear sights that I'm gonna try.

again, thanks all for the input

Just me, but after being introduced to optics, although I know it`s done, I`d not want to hunt turkeys without an adjustable sight of some kind. POA/POI is just too variable what with the different guns, chokes and loads.

wchadw

i normally sight in at 15 yards (depends on your adjustments on your red dot ie 1 moa per click at 30 yards etc) with cheap heavy dove load 9s  then when its "on" i shoot 20, 30 and 40 with loads I'm hunting with and adjust as needed.  Normally there is little adjustment.

Gobble!

Quote from: wchadw on April 09, 2020, 11:55:23 AM
i normally sight in at 15 yards (depends on your adjustments on your red dot ie 1 moa per click at 30 yards etc) with cheap heavy dove load 9s  then when its "on" i shoot 20, 30 and 40 with loads I'm hunting with and adjust as needed.  Normally there is little adjustment.

x2

Bowguy

Guys back in the 80s I was already noticing a def change. Had one gun that threw buckshot straight yet turkey loads slightly off center.
I've also noticed going Winchester supreme to say longbeards the gun needed sights. If these two turkey loads patterned dif maybe target loads might match with one. But which one??? Test em